Thursday, January 15, 2015

Charlie Hebdo Research

    Recently I have been researching the publication known as 'Charlie Hebdo' after the massacre at their offices in Paris, France. I have found that a good place to research many things is on E-bay. I did find many back issues available there, going for various asking prices. Based on what I have found out so far, there were no sacred cows to the publishers. I am of course going by what is on the covers for the listings, many of them would be considered X-rated and obscene by Americans. I would be mainly interested in what they have to say about American presidents, and there were plenty of covers about them. One of these had Reagan riding a naked woman. Bush 43 was being mocked for the Iraq war. I also found ones that mentioned Nixon, Carter, and Obama- but not Clinton. I think most or all of the Bush covers were 43 and not 41. Not sure if the Ford was president Gerald Ford, not necessarily. The caricature didn't seem to suggest it was to me. Naturally I wasn't familiar with all of those who graced the cover as political leaders in Europe, especially France, would be discussed as well. Another curious thing I found, but not many, was a 'Cahier', I know this means 'Workbook' from taking four years of French in high school. I was outbid on one of those I wanted. Another appears to be a book of a thousand covers. I know some magazines publish such a book. I heard about 'The Onion' doing this before. Even though The Onion is known for satirizing, its satire is not on the same level as Charlie Hebdo's. I need to research some more before I buy anything on E-bay that was produced by this publication. Usually I say just one, so that means make it count. I also saw cross-references to other French publications, especially 'Mensuel Charlie', which Wikipedia states is where Charlie Hebdo got its name when it had to be changed. I had heard the name is derived from Charlie Brown, a character from Charles Schulz's Peanuts comic strip. Some of the covers for Mensuel Charlie did have Charlie Brown and Snoopy characters on the cover. I also saw mention on Wikipedia about an Italian publication called Linus, after another Peanuts character. So I am likely just as interested in those two publications since I like most things Charlie Brown and Snoopy. It appears the main connection is the name, I would expect the content to be way different when comparing Charlie Hebdo to the other two.
   I did place some E-bay orders, tonight was a good night for me to get caught up on paperwork. I ordered a postcard of the Armour stockyard from South St. Paul. I have seen the gates, the one thing preserved from the site. I also ordered the Florida and Colorado state quarters from the current national park series as I already have a collector's map. I haven't seen some of these all that quickly in circulation, not the first time I ordered them online. Good thing I found some that are just above face value. I got my St. Paul Winter Carnival button registered as well, so I am now eligible to win prizes. And I did watch 2 'Big Bang Theory' episodes tonight. Syndicated rerun was when Penny got a big online order for her 'Penny blossoms'. Prime time episode was when the ladies went to Las Vegas, the guys wanted to get serious work done but watched 'Ghostbusters' and 'Back to the future' instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment