Sunday, January 18, 2015

Grumpier Old Men Movie

     Around midday I watched a DVD copy of the movie 'Grumpier Old Men' I found at the library. I wanted to see it as I had found an online article stating the grocery store scene was a Cooper's in St. Paul, a location I had been to. This scene was early in the movie, and there were signs saying 'Cooper's Super-Valu'. The closing credits said it was entirely filmed on location in Minnesota, but this was the only article I had found so far in terms of what the filming sites were. Near the end there was a scene where the two neighbors, played by Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon, were rushing to get to church for a wedding. I noticed an old Standard oil sign in it, not Amoco.  I am aware this movie was released in 1995, so things have changed in the world since then. I also noticed product placement like cans of Schmidt beer. I had seen the original, and I liked this one more. One of the reasons was less feuding between the main characters, which got annoying. The two worked together for various reasons, one of them being not wanting their bait shop to become an Italian restaurant. And of course the marriage of their kids. This brings me to another scene where I would have wanted to know were it was filmed. It was an Oktoberfest scene, I like going to the one in New Ulm. It seemed to be evident that it was not originally released on DVD based on the special features being brief, and still frames. But I know DVD releases were not common until a few years later. There were two Johnny Cash songs listed in the closing credits, one of them was 'Ring of Fire'. It was hard to recall where in the movie I heard them, unless it was just snippets and instrumental.
    After the movie was done I went to have a sandwich at Subway. Then I watched some of the pro football playoff games. Seattle beat Green Bay and New England beat Indianapolis. I did take a break to watch The Simpsons in the evening, it was a crossover episode with the cast of 'Futurama'. The show found ways to laugh at itself, like how the robot seemed to look a lot like Homer. Then I went out again to the Family Dollar and got some microwave popcorn. I was pleased to find a Charlie Brown and Snoopy book there, a dollar just like the popcorn. One DVD movie was of interest to me but I didn't buy it. This was a road movie about a music fan trying to find the grave of musician Hank Williams. I like road movies, hopefully it will be there when I visit again but I am there infrequently. I also noticed copies of 'Up In The Air', a favorite movie of mine, available. Some were previously viewed, and asking price was $3. Another was $5.
     In the morning I listened to Oklahoma's comedy CD, and shared a review on Facebook as well as on Amazon (where I bought it). I was the first reviewer. I then ordered another one on Amazon, by Michigan. It will likely be the last one for a while, as I am running out of ideas of CDs done by comics I know. I am also running out of Amazon gift cards. But it would be number 20. Before I started doing stand-up comedy I didn't have many comedy CDs, I think I just had the two by Bob Newhart. So it is a big deal that I have this many, especially when I would expect that most people in the Twin City comedy circuit have fewer than me. But this is my circle of friends. Then it would likely mean waiting until more of the comics I know release some CDs, and it sounds like some have them in the works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment