Sunday, January 11, 2015

Night At The Museum Movie

     I went to see the movie 'Night at the Museum' this afternoon in Eagan. I had seen the previous two. I will admit that at first I wondered if I had walked into the wrong movie as after the previews I saw what looked like a scene from an 'Indiana Jones' movie, an archeological dig in Egypt in the 1930s. Eventually this scene made sense, and shortly after it I saw the movie title. I watched the closing credits as usual, and there was a dedication to not just Robin Williams but also Mickey Rooney. I don't recall much about the previous two as it had a been a while since I had seen them, but this wasn't a big deal as each one is decidedly different. The main setting was in different museums- New York, Washington, DC, and this time London. I had seen one of the actors on a national talk show promoting the movie, it was the London security guard. As a history major I was unsure what to think of Robin Williams as Theodore Roosevelt quoting other presidents at times, presidents that were after his time in office. But this was a way of showing something was wrong, and in other characters they had other ways of showing that the Ben Stiller character needed to act to save them all. It made sense to add a character since they were in London, in this case it was Lancelot from the Knights of the Roundtable. I had been to London in 2012 to attend a wedding and some scenes there were familiar, as I recall the Tower of London and Trafalgar Square. The British Museum scenes were a little familiar, like the elephants painted bright colors and a round, double staircase.
   I liked seeing the previews as well, this included the Charlie Brown movie and it sounds like it is due out in November. For some reason I expected it to be much earlier. A poster inside the theater showed a hash tag on it saying 'Good grief'. Another was 'Unfriended', it had a simple poster and is due out in April. There have been some social media movies before this one, like 'Social Network', the Facebook movie, and Jason Reitman's 'Men Women Children' more recently. Another preview I saw besides Charlie Brown was for a sequel to 'Mall Cop', I didn't see the first and this one doesn't appeal to me either. I liked getting most things on my to-do list for the weekend crossed off, 8 out of 10. The other two can wait, a standing invite to a friend's comedy show and finding an older movie on video at a library.
   After the movie I went to a Target store across the street and got some popcorn. While there I decided to look around the entire store and at first was going to get baseball cards. Then I told myself I had greater needs than this, and put them back. so I got a large frame for the Vivian Maier poster, and a pair of socks. It was nice that I could ring up these two non-food items when I paid for the popcorn at the snack bar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment