Sunday, April 12, 2015

AWP conference, Lift Bridge Brewing

    I had 2 big events to attend today. First was the AWP conference and book fair at the Minneapolis convention center. Made the most of my time there, picking up writer submission information from various tables. I bought a book full of writings from Iowa authors, including Emerson Hough, early on. The man I bought it from said something about an emergency clown nose. He said it was a happy day as he met a clown earlier. I liked knowing it not only had a Hough writing, but that it was his earliest published piece, called 'Far from the madding crowd'. This was the name of a book shop in the Valley Junction section of West Des Moines, where I lived after college in Iowa City. I did cover the entire floor, but had to rush through it a little since it was so big and I knew I was running out of time. I know I got plenty of buttons as well, and bought some postcards at a gift shop in the convention center before registering for the conference. The nametag reminded me of attending the American Historical Association conventions I have attended, since it is in a different city each year and I chose to say my affiliation is the University of Iowa.
    In the evening it was on to a comedy show at Lift Bridge Brewing in Stillwater, Red-faced comic was headliner and Tortoise was MC. I got plenty of photos there, and sat on top of a keg for some of the show though it wasn't too comfortable. Also went to a bar after the show, invited by the headliner. The bar had a spider-box punching bag, besides the typical dart boards. Another item was a Duck Dynasty shooting game in HD. I spoke about Milwaukee beers with who bought me a drink, somebody who was also at the comedy show. I am familiar with four historically Milwaukee beers- Miller, Pabst, Blatz, and Schlitz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment