Thursday, April 30, 2015

Janeane Garofalo, Varsity Theater

    I went to the Janeane Garofalo comedy show tonight at the Varsity Theater in Dinky-town, near the U of M in Minneapolis. As far as I know, it was my first time at this venue. But it wasn't the first time seeing this performer. I saw Janeane perform at the Cadillac Palace theater in Chicago when I lived in suburban Chicago, in 2002 I think. I happened to know the opening act, it was the Hillary Clinton look-alike. She did tell us in advance about it on Facebook, and I said I already had my ticket. I rode the light rail to Stadium Village and walked the rest of the way. Janeane did plenty of jokes or references to famous people, but also about pants she bought at a Walgreen in Madison, WI, the site of her gig last night. I said the bathroom fixtures reminded me a little of First Avenue, where I have seen 2 concerts. The sink wasn't close to the bathroom fixtures, but between the men's and ladies rooms. I had a can of Pabst and shortly after this I saw the Resistable comic there. The thing I will recall well is how my seat was at the end of a row, and I decided to jump down a little from a press-wood platform to get there. I did take some time to look around a little after the show, and I liked seeing some posters on the wall from previous shows. This included music concerts for the likes of Brandi Carlile, Barenaked Ladies, and Goo Goo Dolls. Two things I saw there was 'We live and die with our opinions', and an 'I ate' sticker.
     I took no pictures on my camera as I decided to leave it at home after calling the venue. I got one of the outside sign on my camera phone before I went in. After the show I went to a McDonald's, about a block away, first time at this location, and had a vanilla cone. I liked the way it looked, with plenty of Minnesota Gopher athletic images on the walls. I can hopefully get photos of it soon, maybe on my next visit to the university like for a Gopher baseball game. When I was driving home I heard a Hank Williams song on the radio, 'Hey good looking'. I cut off the bracelet from the show and put it into a comedy souvenir envelope, and wrote down the show name, venue name, and day. There was a rubber duck pattern on it. I watched some of the David Letterman show, First Lady Michelle Obama was the main guest tonight. The Marines band performed at the end of the interview, I recognized two songs they played, 'Stars and stripes forever' as well as the marines anthem.  
    Janeane did jokes about Toby Keith, Suzie Orman, nobody is Cherokee, Loretta Lynn, James Spader, Dakota Fanning, Daryl Hall, Beyonce and Jay-Z, Chris Christie, Scott Walker, AARP, Law and Order, Criminal Minds, Ernest Borgnine, peanut butter, Koch Brothers, Citizens United, Chris Mathews, Rumsfeld, Bush elections, Mike Bloomberg, smoking, Aeroflot, and evolution.
    Others were about Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, Hilton Courtyard sink, salted caramel, a baby, not all about me, Bend it like Beckham, Eternal Sunshine, what I call 'something gate', puppy bowl, Olive Garden, Eva Braun, Squeaky Fromme, L Ron Hubbard (but she usually just said the initials), Tom Cruise, John Travolta, being called 'shorty' and 'glasses', Robin Thicke, Pol Pot, Selena Gomez, Norah Jones, Daria, and Rambo. This was followed by Raiders of the lost ark, Towering Inferno, Whole Foods, Lunds, storage wars, dill popcorn, Walking Dead, Ken Burns, New York sirens, tea and coffee, Spanx, and she said 'be that as it may' often. Still others were about Albert Brooks, Broadcast News, 10f and 10g, Rand Paul, clipboard, already a member, Mark Cuban, adult diapers, Nordstrom, Waterloo, and Stalin.         

No comments:

Post a Comment