Thursday, April 9, 2015

Plymouth Congregational Church

     I went to a Vietnam event at the Plymouth Congregational Church in Minneapolis tonight. The 40th anniversary of the fall of Saigon is this month, and a writer's conference is in town this week. So this event was held in conjunction with the conference. I knew the event coordinator from the National Writers Union. I did get some photos of the speakers there. I briefly spoke with somebody from the at-large chapter who is in town, she is from Houston. She said she recalled seeing me at the last convention (or delegate assembly) in Chicago 2 years ago. I am hopeful to go again this year, it will be held in New York City. It of course means having to get elected, much like before. It was a mix of rain and snow when I was getting off work tonight, and I probably should have changed back to my winter coat but didn't. I walked a few blocks from the light rail to the church, it was chilly but I was fine as I was moving most of the time. The event coordinator offered me a ride back to the light rail stop after the event had finished, and I accepted. I saw some trash on the train so I picked it up and threw it in a bin when I got to my stop. It was an edition of City Pages, an empty box of Skittles, and a food tray from the Holiday convenience store.
    The payoff report was late today due to I.T. problems, so I perfected the new titles first. I did get the payoff report submitted by the end of the day, and still finished 10 settlement letters as well. This morning the perky girl confirmed for me how an underwriting colleague of hers no longer works in our office. I was about to send him and email this week, and I had a message before sending saying 'Invalid'. I will miss him, I had a gleeful greeting for him much like I do for some of my friends in the comedy circuit. In this case it was 'Thielmann!' I wanted to tell him about how I am trying to plan out summer travels some more, like my cousin's wedding in Wisconsin means there is a chance to do some touring along the way. One of the jokes I recalled from his earlier stint as an underwriter (he just finished the second stint, hard to recall how long he was away) was when I needed help one time and he got a big laugh out of the buyer being from Dickeyville, WI. I said I knew it as a town that has a grotto, a man-made religious shrine. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. But not sure how it would work with the logistics on trying to see it on the way to the wedding. This was why I liked to call him 'Grotto boy' for a while. He was also interested in how I would like to attend the Pan-Am Games in Toronto this summer, as he spoke of his wife being from this city. The perky girl said he lives in Canada now, my guess in or near Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment