Saturday, August 8, 2015

Janitor Instincts

   My janitor instincts kicked in when I saw an overflowing fixture in the bathroom while on recess from the convention. I asked our president, a mop couldn't be found right away so I was given paper towels to sop it up. I was a janitor in college so I wanted to do something about it as I didn't want anyone to fall. It didn't take long once I got started, and it sounds like I missed very little in terms of the session, maybe a minute or two. I have wrote out four postcards, one I am sending to myself, and  tried to find a place to send them during my lunch but couldn't. We did get to many of our resolutions today, but not all of them.
   In the evening I went to an 'improv' comedy show in East Village, called 'What I did for Love'. I liked doing the side trip and checking out of the craziness of Midtown and Times Square, this was more my speed. The area reminded me of Campus-town and Dinky-town in Minneapolis, seeing a bookshop selling books for a dollar in cases on wheels outside helped with the comparison. A New Yorker I had met at a previous convention, Detroit 2011, told me about it and attended the show with
me. We had some ice cream before the show, I had Cool Runnings. This did make me think of school bouncer, who has a joke about the movie it takes the name from. Walking on sunshine was the song
I heard while getting ice cream, and Only the lonely was one I heard as we went to the break at the comedy show. It was good to get stage time here, I raised my hand and got interviewed at the start of the show. Then the performers acted out an even funnier version of what I told them. I shared things like how much I spent on a long-shot dating service in suburban Chicago, and a mini golf date that was a result of it. Then there was my relationship that lasted over two years and ended two years ago. It was easier to laugh at all of it now since it has been long enough. Especially when it was made ridiculous by turning it into an ISIS joke. Want some love? Then cut off heads for us, give us your credit cards and social security number.       

No comments:

Post a Comment