Saturday, August 15, 2015

Laura Ingalls Wilder, Walnut Grove

    It was a busy day or driving and picture taking in southern Minnesota. I went to the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum in Walnut Grove, about an hour west of New Ulm. I got a smashed penny souvenir, my 6th of the year. I got other souvenirs, but tried to be careful to avoid getting postcards I already had since I toured the Laura home in Burr Oak, IA, 3 years ago. Then it was on to the Brown County Fair in New Ulm. It is called a free fair as it is free admission. Nice to see animal exhibits there, as the Ramsey County Fair in Maplewood doesn't have any unless you count the petting zoo. I also brought CDs with me for the drive. Two were comedy CDs, including the $4.99 show, and the one by the Wisconsin guy. The other two were music, Kelly Clarkson greatest hits and a classic country jukebox. The former was bought at a Best Buy store recently, the latter during my Toronto visit last month. Before Walnut Grove I stopped at a place calling itself Minnesota's answer to Wall Drug and got postcards and some cheese. Also stopped at the lunch buffet at Godfather's Pizza in St. Peter. I had a pulled pork sandwich and some Schell's beer at the fair. I was at the county fair for just under two hours, which was long enough to see everything that I wanted to see. Memorable of course was the music. Before a band did a sound check I heard some recorded music, two songs stand out. It was
'Have you ever seen the rain' by CCR, and 'Landslide' by Fleetwood Mac. With the former I had to pause and just listen to it until the end. Even though I haven't seen the movie Philadelphia, I think of the version in that movie, by the Spin Doctors, more often. The third notable song of the fair was I'm yours by Jason Mraz. It was near a midway ride, a reminder of starting comedy nearly seven years ago. When I was taking a picture of a light pole banner as I was leaving Walnut Grove I heard that Cheerleader song. I went to the Hy-Vee grocery store after the fair and got a sparkling ice drink. As I was leaving New Ulm, the song Walk the Line (from the country music CD) was playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment