Sunday, August 21, 2016

fortunate son, CCR

I was at the 9-hole golf course in Maplewood tonight, and the group in front of me had golf carts and I heard the song 'fortunate son' by CCR playing. I am reminded of how it is in the movie 'Forrest Gump', and I pay attention to the lyrics in it, like I do with most songs. 'it ain't me, I'm no millionaire's son, no senator's  son', saying I'm in Vietnam because I'm not fortunate enough. some of the themes in it are still relevant, like mention of the tax man coming to the door, and the house looks like a rummage sale. tax evasion is still rampant. I like another song of theirs, 'looking out my back door', as it mentions listening to Buck Owens.
   this was my second annual visit to the golf course, using a gift certificate I won at a united way fundraiser at the office. it was expiring soon. I had two golf clubs this time as I bought a driver at the goodwill in Roseville earlier today. it was still a 'comedy of errors' though, which works for me as I am a comedian. so don't expect me to be on the PGA tour anytime soon. the group in front of me said I appeared out of nowhere, I said I move quicker when I am the only one in my group. the sun was setting soon anyway, and I finished my round as it was getting dark and harder to see the flag marking the hole. this group made mention of bill murray amongst themselves when one of them was washing off golf balls, and I had been wondering of anyone was going to speak of the movie 'caddyshack'. I had an ice cream cone at mcdonald's after I was done. the closing ceremonies of the Olympic games from Rio were on when I was there.
   I spent much of my day getting souvenirs from the fringe festival into sheet protectors and then a binder before I went anywhere this afternoon. I did make it in time to perform at the donut show. I made a reference to being in fringe, the saints game with a SNL theme, my 8th grade history teacher, and getting ready for the round of golf.
    I also thought of how I have a class reunion next year. at this stage of my dad's life, he skipped that reunion as he was getting divorced. I have never been married, how odd would it be if I skipped this reunion due to getting married? still a longshot, but one never knows what the future might hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment