Saturday, August 13, 2016

stuart smalley

tonight at the st. paul saints baseball game I played stuart smalley as part of the Saturday night live theme. this character was originally played by al franken, and some fans made franken comments, some more flattering than others. I loved doing this gig, the VIP treatment as we got in free and got food vouchers. the event coordinator may not have said 'it will be like shooting fish in a barrel' but he might as well have. it was rather simple, as many fans recognized our characters and asked for pictures. I had done Zombie night last season, and was in only one 'selfie'. I was on way more smartphones tonight. I was even offered some of their food, like a few peanuts or part of an ice cream sandwich. this is why I enjoy performing, also due to seeing the 'underbelly' of the stadium and seeing more things behind the scenes. I said I would like to do this kind of thing more often. what made it possible, of course, was how I didn't have a performance scheduled for the fringe show I am in. we have one more, on sunday. near the end of the game I found gert the flirt, and it was nice to talk about performing with her. notable was how I drank plenty of water throughout, three bottles. but it was a warm night, and my costume probably made it warmer. one performer said she had been hit on and I said I wasn't, but later on in the game I was. whoever that hit on me was probably drunk, but I will take it. as usual, I did my best to pick up souvenirs from this event as I like documenting my comedy career. notable was a 'draw-along scorecard', provided by the team's community art program. I liked seeing what looked like a man in an Oktoberfest outfit on it.
   the day started as an ambivalent one for me. I went to my post office box and the one item waiting for me was from Canadian days. it was a letter saying I had won a Disney tote bag. now I will have to figure out when I can pick it up. it said I had to pick it up during 'business hours' and my next weekday off is more than a week away. after this I got ready for a date, but I waited at a coffee shop ofr 30 minutes and my date didn't show up so I went home. I posted on facebook about how I have been on e-harmony nearly as long as I have done stand-up, almost 8 years, and all I have received from it was jokes, and I was looking for more. this was re-posted by a fellow comic and his posting got more likes than my original one. I also was asked on facebook by bathtub if I had a certain snoopy figurine, I said I did not. but I know I am known as the resident Charlie brown fan, and I liked how he was thinking of me. I even found a coin from the Netherlands when I was at the grocery store, so it was a mostly good day for me. the coin was put in a mylar cover and then in an album, and I have a good collection going. in the morning I had a breakfast sandwich at a McDonald's that just re-opened, it was nice to see what they do with orders now where they bring them out to you. but the ketchup dispenser wasn't working, so I didn't put any on my hash brown. no big deal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment