Saturday, July 13, 2019

spy behind home plate movie

this afternoon I saw the movie 'spy behind home plate' in Edina. I knew I would see it as I love baseball and history. same reason why I saw another movie about moe berg, 'catcher was a spy', last year. I liked this one more than last year's. it helped that this one is a documentary, and the other was not. I liked how playing baseball was more of a part of the story, showing archival footage of his days in baseball. in last year's movie, it just served as a backdrop. I already knew some about moe berg, but I liked how it went more in-depth. I had seen other movies by this director, about sears exec Julius Rosenwald as well as about baseball player hank Greenberg. I liked seeing plenty of interviews in it, from a wide variety of people. some were family, others were teammates in baseball. there was even one with brad ausmus, now the manager of the angels. some footage appeared to be from ESPN, as I sometimes saw their logo in the corner of the screen. I said 'not over' when there was one more scene in the closing credits. this is why I stay through the credits, as I don't want to miss anything. when I wrote about it I said it was inspiring on some level. I guess that as a performer, I understand how moe said he loved baseball more than law, and one must do what they love. although I have said I am probably a  'lifer' when it comes to performing.  so I didn't need any more inspiration to keep performing, and attending baseball games, but I found it. I was reminded once again about how he wrote an article in atlantic magazine about baseball. so that is something I should read at some point, of course it is a matter of where I can find it.
    there were some other things I did today. I went to a brunch to a place I saw in Minneapolis for the first time. it was inside a co-op grocery store. I had to wait to use the bathroom as both were occupied when I arrived. then I went to checked my p.o. box, getting there just before closing time, and two items were there. one of them was the 'up in the air' movie flyer from Poland, that I ordered from e-bay. of course there was groceries, and then watching the fox baseball game of the week. it was giants-brewers, and the brewers won 5-4. then there was doing karaoke, and I sang 'country boy can survive' by hank Williams, jr. I realized I still wanted to do that one when I arrived as somebody was singing something by the older hank.

No comments:

Post a Comment