Saturday, July 20, 2019

university of iowa reflections book

i went to a university of iowa alumni event and it started with meeting at a bar near the twins baseball stadium. there was a drawing for door prizes, and I got one of the books. it is called 'university of iowa reflections'. the front flap states it includes more than 160 photos, many never before published. it was published in 2008, the year of flooding on campus, and some of the photos are of the flooding, such as the softball venue on the Coralville strip. this is one section unto its own in the book, one of five. the others were of the four seasons. I recognized many places depicted in it, such as athletic facilities, the old capitol, and hancher auditorium. also the nursing building, where I worked as a janitor to pay my tuition. so I am thankful to have it.
   I had a beer at the bar, and some of the appetizers that were furnished. but of course it also meant making it over to the game! the twins were playing the Oakland A's, and thankfully the weather held up. when I was woke up by a rainstorm this morning, I knew this was in doubt. but it eventually cleared up in the afternoon. the twins led early with 2 solo home runs in the 1st inning, but lost 5-4. the twins were leading with 2 outs in the 9th but couldn't finish it. I liked seeing the event coordinator there, I did some networking about jobs. but some of the others there I found to be annoying. as I was leaving the game I noticed some bags of peanuts were abandoned, I was able to consolidate 4 partial bags into 1 full bag. I hate seeing wasted food and I know I will like eating them.
   this event meant moving up my grocery shopping by a few hours, no big deal. I went there after picking up an e-bay order at the post office, and then printing some things at the library. after the game I took the light rail back to the park and ride, and after a short time at home it was on to the karaoke bar. I did 'jump around' by house of pain. it had been on my list for a while, as expected when it was rap it was hard to keep up but I did fairly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment