Sunday, October 24, 2010

Blunder Bowl in Chicago

I went to Chicago for the weekend, it was capped by seeing the Bears-Redskins game today. I recall reading about an early Super Bowl being called a 'Blunder Bowl' due to the numerous turnovers, this game was worthy of the name as well. Bears lost 17-14, there was a missed field goal besides the turnovers, which I had lost count of.
   I was a little worried about getting back to the airport in time for my flight at 6pm, since the game ended around 3pm.  It was slow getting back to the train, being foot traffic, taking nearly an hour. But the train moved quickly once I was on it, and I was still there about an hour before my flight. Good thing, since I was ticketed to fly first-class, the first time ever, and it was overbooked. Didn't want to lose my first class seat if I could help it! There were some subtle differences flying in first class, for one thing comfortable seats and more roomy. But also getting to board first and getting more attention from the flight attendant. And getting drinks served in a glass instead of a plastic cup. I did wear a suit coat and a tie, saying I should do that to make it look like I actually belong there. But I had no sport shirt due to wearing a Bears sweatshirt at work on Friday, so I was still wearing the jersey from the game underneath!
   I am thankful as usual to have seen a dear friend of mine from work, we met for a drink after the Iowa-Wisconsin game on Saturday. Iowa lost 31-30, I left the bar a little early in hopes of getting there on time. With my friend was her intended, she announced the engagement in the past month or so. I had already given my approval, as long as he treats her well and that they know they are right for each other. She said right away he is a great guy, and I found this out as well. He's a Midwesterner, from suburban Detroit. It made me chuckle when I was describing one ex and said I didn't like how she was moody and wouldn't tell me why. Then he put his hands on her ears and said 'women are like that'. He also inspired me to look up the Super Bowl Shuffle on Youtube. This may extend to other things, like mention of how I likely have enough material to write about staying at Motel 6 locations across the country. Already became accountable to my friend by giving her a goal list- now better known as a 'bucket list' due to the movie of the same name. I knew I needed to try harder when I told somebody else, as I hate disappointing people. Along with looking up where they plan to get married, a historic haven in Michigan, and how he is a member of a club originally formed to get Ulysses Grant elected president. It's called the Union League Club I think. I was hearing the right word, history. He's a businessman, investment banker/hedge funds, so he sounds like the type that her dad approves of, who is a businessman and votes Republican. He spoke of hearing Bush 43 speak.
   I have been encouraged to make it for an outing at a comedy club, but I want to do more than just be in the crowd. Also want to go onstage. With the seniority at my employer I have days to use, and an extra day or two would give me more time. Rarely do I have the chance due to quick visits.
   It can be tough to go back to the old neighborhood, as some things are familiar and others are not. Things change, and it has been over six years. But I am thankful I made it to the library to research Emerson Hough there, and there was plenty of articles online that the librarian helped me find. There was even a photo from the Library of Congress collection. It will likely yield some new information for me, but some of it was already familiar. I like seeing the differences on what each article covers.
   Other notable events were seeing a dog in the reception area of the suburban Motel 6 I was staying at, closed to the public for the night, and somebody wanting to do situps inside as well. I guess they were there to keep the desk clerk from feeling lonely. And then there was a man who saw me right after checking out, asking me if I had received any prank calls and I hadn't. I did say I was on my way to the Bears game, but I was still intrigued by his story. He spoke about filing criminal charges and wanting a refund from the hotel, sounded like he may have been an 'extended guest' of the motel. Looked like a roughneck, probably wouldn't be friends in real life, but I like telling people's stories when I think of myself as an everyman. Even said it reminded me of how my dad deadpanned one wrong number when we were staying in St. Louis, saying 'all I have here is a 17-year-old son' when the caller said he was told by a buddy there was a hooker here at this number.

No comments:

Post a Comment