Thursday, October 7, 2010

Wedding Magnet

I checked the mail today and got a wedding magnet from my cousin. I recognized the name on it, and actually it was just an announcement for the day, next June. I thought it was a big deal to get a wedding invitation on Facebook, from a comedian friend, which will be in just over a week.
   A colleague told me about his cousin asking for help on a science project, and how the mom told him not to help since he likes to blow up things and would be a bad influence on him. Had to laugh about this one since he had told me about a cannon that launched potatoes.
   The online dating experience is still in flux, one match- the rodeo girl- dropped me saying it wasn't working out for her. It was her loss to give up so early before we even met. But I'm probably not missing much since she couldn't really describe her line of work well, or at least in a positive fashion. This still seems to be a good way to weed out the nutjobs, as one of them talked about her college major instead of her job when I asked this question. It is still a good idea for me to drop those matches who suffer from 'lack of effort'. If I get no response after 4 weeks that's long enough to wait. Going by the 'lack of effort' standard has been effective so far, since so few seem to meet this standard. I just wish more of them did, as I prefer to meet people first before accepting or rejecting them.
   In more positive news, I do have a date lined up for Saturday afternoon. My date did inform me about what outfit she will be wearing, but at a small coffee shop she should be easy to find. Now it means seeing I am ready for it in terms of appearance. I haven't had a haircut in a while so it means getting one. I wanted to use a coupon at an upscale 'barber college' but found out they have a long waiting list for appointments so going there will have to wait. I am not used to going to a place where an appointment is needed anyway. But my performance and not my outfit should be most important. I am reminded of a line from a movie I like, 'Only the Lonely' starring John Candy. In it his love interest tells herself not to mess it up after first meeting him and setting up the first date. I am trying to remember to apply the lessons learned from previous dates about what to do and what not to do. I often thought I was hitting all of the right notes when I wasn't. But I also know some of my dates just weren't a good fit. No matter what, I just hate going through all of the quick rejections, the 'one and done' dates. Been on more of those than I really care to admit. I am telling myself that there's a greater chance this match will work. Haven't seen any real notable flaws or red flags yet about being damaged goods or being wounded or hung up on an ex. She has a good job, an accountant, is decent looking and our emails have went well. So it is starting off as promising. Body language has told me just as much as verbal language has as to if somebody is interested. I did date somebody who couldn't keep her hands off of me. While I liked that, (who wouldn't?) I didn't feel the same way about her since she was mouthy. As the U2 song, "One", said, 'one love, we get to share it'. This means it helps when two people feel the same way about each other. I will find out soon enough if this is the case. And if it isn't, then as much as I hate to keep starting over, I will just tell myself that I made my attempt and the true winners in life are the participants. As one sign in my math teacher's room said, there are 3 kinds of people- those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened. I am thankful to be in the first category again.

No comments:

Post a Comment