Sunday, October 31, 2010

60 Minutes Feature

I was out of town this weekend, made it back to see a feature on '60 Minutes' about my hometown of Newton, Iowa. It was sad to see it since it spoke about the economic problems after Maytag left town. I liked how there was mention of the closure of Emerson Hough School, but would have liked seeing mention of it being named for a Newton native as well. In many ways it was a reminder of why I looked elsewhere for work after I graduated from college. There just didn't seem to be enough to come back to. I've seen this sad story in other small towns, left behind by the economy because they're small towns. Way too many empty storefronts, and the industrial jobs had dried up. When I got advance notice of the feature, I thought of how there were some warnings of what had happened in other towns earlier- movies like 'All The Right Moves', 'Gung Ho', and 'Roger and Me'.  I will want to find out about getting a copy of the feature on CD.
    It was a fun weekend, I went to Iowa City to see the Hawkeye football game. Iowa beat Michigan State 37-6. Looks like they worked off the frustration from the one-point loss to Wisconsin from last week. Liked going to the tailgating event at the Fieldhouse, good food and meeting somebody I knew from Iowa Club events in Des Moines. She was in the legislature and an ambassador in the Caribbean. Things had changed at this venue, fewer entrances compared to when I was a student there, a big banner over the main entrance now. It was a nice discovery on being there, walking past the swimming pool and seeing mention of Irving Weber, a local historian. A school was named for him while I was there. I was unaware of him being an All-American swimmer at the university as well.  I did see a classmate while tailgating before the game closer to the stadium, he said our mutual friend is fine after his wife left him. I was keeping my distance, not wanting to alienate my friend, a Little League teammate I've known since age 9. Figured he would talk when he wants to, I've been told to try again and he may be more receptive now.
   Also saw my college roommate in Coralville after the game, since he works at the local VA Hospital. I like the discussions we have about history, since we both majored in it. I picked up an Iowa Hawkeye sweatshirt at a JC Penney at Coralville Mall since I wanted to replace 2 of them I've had for a while that had gotten ratty. One was from the campus bookstore, had it 17 years. And the other from a HyVee grocery store after college, 13 years. I was a little picky about which one, since I hope it lasts for a long time like the other two did. So I found one that said 'Iowa' and the 'Tigerhawk' logo. Made it back home in the late afternoon, was listening to the final debate for governor en route. It was shades of 6 years earlier, when I went to Winnipeg, Manitoba, for a Van Halen concert on Halloween weekend. Right before an election, and then crossing a border- but this time just a state border and not an international one. It would be a good joke with the border guards- 'let me back in the country so I can vote!'  Called my dad after getting back and let him know my schedule, and I plan on making it back for a few days for Thanksgiving, but not for too long like before. And I watched a little of Game 4 of the World Series, Giants beat the Rangers tonight to go up 3-1. There was some camera shorts of the two presidents named Bush, and of former pitcher Nolan Ryan, now part-owner of the Rangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment