Saturday, October 9, 2010

Prairie Home Companion

It was a full day, and it did include seeing the radio show 'Prairie Home Companion' live at the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul. I waited for it to come back there as it had been on the road often. Don't know if this was a 'bucket list' item, but I like how I got this done. You just have to ask what it's worth to you, and eventually I do get these things crossed off my list.
   I noticed how host Garrison Keillor was wearing red gym shoes with his suit, and with my line of work I understood it's more comfortable if on your feet a lot. Enjoyed all of the music in it, five songs stood out for me. There was Willie Nelson's 'Always on My Mind', along with "Moon River", 'For the Beauty of the Earth', 'In My Life' (marking Beatles frontman John Lennon's birthday) and the Everly Brothers song 'Bye Bye Love'. There was a guitar duo from Montana doing some of those songs, including 'Earth', a church hymn I know. Liked how one of them played a harmonica, the only musical instrument I own. The main thing I like about church is the music. I liked how the familiar characters from listening to it on the radio were there, like Guy Noir private eye, the ads for Powder Milk Biscuits, and doing the Lake Wobegon news. I had heard about Wobegon back when I was in junior high, I know the show has been around for a while.
   The day started early, I called my dad this morning after having my breakfast, oatmeal. We had missed connections earlier, And I said I still needed to get my schedule finalized better and it will be soon. Then it was on to JC Penney to a get a new outfit for my date, I didn't take as long as I normally do since I knew I didn't have much time. I found a good sport shirt and dress pants on sale and I was in and out, including the fitting room, in about 10 minutes. I still needed to shower and did so, and it worked in my favor to have it at a coffee shop near me as I made it just in time after walking over there. She was wearing the outfit as I was told, the black dress and leopard leggings. It was a corduroy fabric if I'm not mistaken, so an Audrey Hepburn-type black dress it wasn't. No big deal though. We spoke for a while, over an hour, then she said she wanted to get to the gym. I let her know I would like to see her again, and she has given me her number so I will hope for the best.
    Since I wanted to check email I didn't have all that much time between the date and getting to the Fitz for the show. I did recap my day when I called my college roommate in Memphis. Since I have a new outfit I am likely to retire some others. I usually keep outfits as long as I can, in the case of dress pants I still often wear them even after the leg bottoms start to look shredded.

No comments:

Post a Comment