Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Writing Seminar

I went to another event tonight that was a Facebook invitation, a writing seminar as I am a member of the National Writers Union. I once recall my dad saying to me that he didn't want me following in his footsteps at Maytag, as I would get laid off. I found other ways, by joining his union. The event was at a meeting room in a nearby library. When we went around the room to introduce ourselves, I did speak about the blog and how I was inspired to write about Emerson Hough in it. I was informed that the best way to promote the blog was to read other blogs, something I hadn't considered before. I have wanted to attend more of these events, but there were scheduling conflicts since they were while I was at work. When I spoke of wanting to get more people to read the blog I realized that I will really have mastered salesmanship if I accomplish my goal of more readership. It's a good tiein to seeing a good friend of mine this weekend, since sales is their occupation and I did learn plenty from them about salesmanship being a part of your life no matter what your line of work is.
   I was paying attention to the little girl there, one attendee said she brought the girl due to childcare issues. Kids can be fun to be around, since they have plenty of energy. Also noticed the candy there, I had some but then stopped after seeing the calorie content on little peanut butter cups. I stay thin when I look at calorie content.
   As expected, there was the 'sniping' at the end of the silent auction at work today. I had bid on eight different items at one point or another, but it looks like I was outbid on all but one. It was annoying how I was otubid on some during the final minutes by just five cents, after seeing my bid! But I guess it makes it easier to afford the one I did get. I was mostly bidding on food gift certificates, but not going over the declared value as what's the point, even of the proceeds go to charity? All of the comedy club tickets were bid on, so I didn't feel the need to bid on those since I get in free anyway. While it would have been nice to have some of the other gift cards, I can still go to those restaurants if I want to, don't need a gift card to go in.

No comments:

Post a Comment