Sunday, October 17, 2010

Dead Sea Scrolls

I was discussing comedy with somebody at the wedding on Saturday, and we eventually got around to Louie Anderson. I said I had his book 'Dear Dad', bought at a secondhand store, but hadn't read it yet. I read the first 50 pages and there was plenty I could relate to, good or bad, about comedy and family.
   I did some writing for a contest which will be closing soon. Now it means getting around to typing it and submitting it when I have the time. Also made it to the Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit at the Science Museum, as it will be closing in a week. Learned something as usual, in this case it included how 'Zealot' once meant a particular group of people, slightly different from small-z 'zealot' but likely the origin of the word and definition. Same is true for 'Mentor' as it was once a person's name, a proper name, then became to mean something a little different. In the writing contest I am writing about some of the mentoring I do.
    Made it to the comedy club tonight, and was surprised I was able to get stage time but made the most of it. There's a haunted house as well, and I helped with it by putting on a yellow clown costume and laughing at customers while trying to eat a rubber brain. Loved it! I said I had to do clown jokes after it, like one about John Wayne Gacy. On some level I am still amazed at being able to do so well while shooting from the hip and going from memory, but I've done this often enough to know what works.
   After being on stage I was a little distracted by somebody I thought looked like my former boss and mentor, but found out on a closer look after the show it wasn't her. Just looked like her from the side, and from a distance. She lives in suburban Chicago anyway. But I liked the feeling that it could have been her, seeing me using my talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment