Friday, February 24, 2012

Battle Cry of Freedom

I like writing about music, as it seems to cover just about every human emotion possible. Recently I saw the first segment of the Ken Burns documentary about baseball, but couldn't think of the song I heard in it. After setting it aside for a few days, I tried a cross reference on Youtube and found it- 'Battle Cry of Freedom'. Listened to a few different versions, Union as well as Confederate. But it still sounded familiar to me, and then I found out where. It was in Disney's version of 'Robin Hood' ,which had animals playing the roles. The song 'The Phony King of England', about Prince John, had the same hook as 'Battle'. Then for some reason, I went on to 'The Thunderer', a John Philip Sousa march, maybe since it is patriotic as well. I first heard it in the Clint Eastwood movie 'Bronco Billy'. I was going to wait until watching my VHS copy of the biopic, 'Abraham Lincoln', but got it answered before then. I did still watch it tonight, but it took some time to figure out how to get everything hooked up as I hadn't played a VHS tape in a while. I had seen it before, but noticed something that I hadn't previously. It was more than just the Gettysburg Address that was referenced in the Ford's Theater scene when he arrives for the play 'Our American Cousin'. It was also the second Inaugural Address, which speaks of binding up the nation's wounds. Many movies invent scenes and characters for dramatic effect, or in this case they merge two speeches into one so they don't have to depict them in full. And as I recall from the history books, Lincoln made no speeches when he arrived for the play. Notable about the movie was Jason Robards playing his law partner, Herndon. I had seen all 3 movies about Lincoln made from 1930-1940, thanks to the library. This is the one I own, after finding it at a mall kiosk.  

No comments:

Post a Comment