Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Volunteer Dinner

I left work 30 minutes early to attend a volunteer dinner at the Eden Prairie facility on the other side of the metro area. Saw a few people I knew, one of them was interested in how I do comedy, comparing it to public speaking. This is a fair comparison, as the tools needed for one are needed for the other.
    At the comedy club tonight, the show closer was wearing a suit, and said he remembered me from when he was at the club a year earlier. I liked knowing I am remembered, but I am just hopeful it is for the right reasons. I even alluded to this when he said he had seen me before, hopefully it wasn't on 'America's Most Wanted'. Actually this was a response I was given at a shirt shop when I was buying a patriotic 'God Bless America' shirt after 9/11, when they didn't ask for an I.D. when I was paying by check. For some reason I just expected it, but now it is a reminder of how I write way fewer checks than I did then.
   I have called myself an 'invite whore', as I try to go to as many events as possible when invited. I'm thrilled to be invited, no matter what the event is. Some of these of course are on Facebook, especially from comedian friends. This is one reason why I attended tonight, even though my attendance wasn't required as I made no speeches and had no awards to accept. It was also good food, likely better food than I usually eat as I often have TV dinners at home. I was still finishing up dinner when the speeches began, but didn't have much left as I am a fast eater. It was the first question I had as I didn't know how much I had missed of the program. Found out I hadn't missed much, so there still was time to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment