Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Bell and Rathskeller

This was my annual day for meeting my lawmakers at the state capitol. I decided to look around the grounds and I still find some new things there. This time it was a replica of the Liberty Bell, with no crack in it. Also found the bust of former vice president Hubert Humphrey inside the capitol, I told myself I had found it before. It was on my mind as there will be a Humphrey statue outside the capitol soon. It was nice to see the rathskeller inside of course, reminding me of my dad liking to visit them wherever they could be found. He would sometimes like to say 'they're in the rathskeller' so it has a nice ring to it. When I go to New Ulm for Oktoberfest, I do go to Turner Hall and like having a drink in the rathskeller, so when the time is right one can find me there. It is nice to learn wherever possible, as there was a display about the history of the rathskeller and the meaning since it's a German word. I like finding out how words can have multiple meanings, in this case 'keller' can mean 'cellar' or 'basement'. Part of its history, good or bad, was painting over the German words on the wall during World War I as it was unpopular then, I know this happened in New Ulm as well. Thankfully both were re-discovered and restored. Though the one at the capitol is harder to find, out of the way.
      Also went to renew my driver license, since I had the time to do so in the afternoon. I was mindful of what works on pictures so I was wearing a black shirt as I am more comfortable in that color and more likely to smile in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment