Sunday, February 19, 2012

Carver and Chili's

Drove to Iowa City today to see the Iowa-Indiana basketball game, which had a late afternoon start. Iowa won 78-66, after leading by 11 at the half. Plenty of 3-pointers went in, which is fun to watch. I thought of how I had seen plenty of events at this venue before, but mostly when I attended college there. This included not just student season tickets for basketball, but also my graduation ceremony, a Guns-n-Roses concert, and a speech by President Clinton, who was running for re-election. Carver-Hawkeye Arena has been there for a while now, when we walked through the part of the building where will-call happened to be it reminded me of how there had been renovation in recent years. Before the game we saw the art museum, which moved to the student union after the flooding in 2008. Nearby we also saw the writer's walk of fame, official name is 'Iowa Avenue Literary Walk'. I like it as one of the writers in it is Emerson Hough, my inspiration as a writer. My date got a picture of me next to the Irving Weber statue, which is next to the walk of fame.
    It was the first time that my date had seen the school I had attended. My college roommate showed up during dinner after the game. I was eating at Chili's in Coralville near the mall, using up another one of my gift cards. We made 3 stops along the way, more than I usually make, but we wanted to eat along the way. So we did so at a Subway near Waterloo, before that at a Casey's in Clear Lake. The final one was just south of Cedar Rapids, the airport exit, for fuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment