Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sticky Side

After watching inning 2 of the Ken Burns baseball documentary earlier today with my date, I knew I needed to get going on my errand running. Good segment, profiling the likes of Ty Cobb and Rube Waddell, along with 'Bonehead Merkle', so infamous it is now a bar and restaurant in Chicago. It was on to doing laundry, and I looked at an inactive soap vending machine. It had some broken glass as well as some visible but hard-to-reach coins. May not have been much, but I liked the challenge. I was able to fish out 32 cents in all, 2 dimes, a nickel and 7 pennies. I reminded myself how I had some tape in my car, and could put it on a pen sticky-side up to fish it out. There was likely even more in there, but I know I got the lion's share out of it.
    Somehow it does remind me a little of a book I read as a kid, called 'From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler'. The 2 kids in it, Claudia and Jamie, were staying at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. One time they bathed in the fountain, which was also a wishing well. Together they collected $2.87, they couldn't hold any more in their hands. There was another notable left-behind item, much like 2 weeks previously. It was unopened bags of candy on one table, just as odd as the George Foreman grill from before on top of one of the machines. It looks like the proper maintenance isn't being done, as there still were some notes up on some dryers saying 'do not use, lost a dollar, not warm.' One of the washers had water in it and other trash, so I didn't use it.
   I did make it to the fitness center after doing laundry, though I wasn't there for long. But I am thankful I made it back, as there is some exercise just getting over there after parking my car. There's a decent amount of walking involved, and I like walking. I got the groceries done next, and finished the dishes while watching a 'Simpsons' rerun, a Halloween episode. It was nice to be done with chores before watching the Oscars. I had seen some of the nominees like 'Moneyball' , 'Artist', and 'Descendants'. 'Artist' was best-picture winner.
   Also had some odd dreams recently. One was about walking a dog, don't have one. It was out of control, not sure what breed but I said I liked the looks of German Shepherds and Huskies, well known as work dogs. Or maybe I was thinking of a current SUV commercial with a 50-Cent song and the man in the Arctic had Huskies as his passengers. Another was me on a bus that moved because of a nearby late-night party, woke up before the dream ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment