Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Not the Chips Ahoy Cookies

A fellow comic made a reference to Chips Ahoy, the cookies, tonight when doing a joke about the invention of the phone by Alexander Graham Bell. Something about how 'ahoy' or 'what is wanted' was considered as a greeting along with 'hello'. It did remind me of Mr. Burns on 'The Simpsons' as he was known with answering his phone by saying 'ahoy, hoy'. It fits his demeanor, as he is known for being old-school. I even said so after the show when I found him. The same comic did a fist bump when he saw me in the crowd, before he took the stage. I didn't stay long after the show, no need for it as there is plenty to do at home. Somebody did get confused, as the assistant in 'Sherlock Holmes' has the same name as Bell's- Watson. They spoke of the first line on a phone, which refers to Bell saying he needs Watson.
    The Democratic National Convention started tonight in Charlotte, I heard some of it on the radio on the way to the comedy club. I didn't follow the Republican Convention from Tampa, held last week, that much, and expect this one will be no different. When I am busy on many weeknights I don't have much time to watch prime time TV. I know there will be plenty about it online and in the papers anyway. Some of the speeches might be nice to hear but I am more interested in seeing the debates, which likely will be soon but haven't heard much about the when and where just yet. I like the debates as it is more unfiltered, it gives one a better idea of what the candidates are for. I know the VP candidates don't debate as much, usually just once. Voters tend to care more about who is on the top of the ticket anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment