Sunday, September 30, 2012

Hockey Hall of Fame, Eveleth

Went to the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth. I got plenty of pictures there, including of the profiles of some inductees. We knew about cartoonist Charles Schulz being inducted, found out Little Caesar's pizza boss Mike Illitch is honored there as well. On the upper level, there was a video running of the 'Miracle on Ice' hockey game from Lake Placid in 1980. I watched the goal that tied the game at 3-3. I liked getting to shoot a puck at a net, and at another target, in separate areas. Though my speed at shooting a puck isn't that great. I bought two souvenirs, a postcard and a little blue hockey stick. I think I will move the stick to the office, as some souvenirs are kept there. It has plenty of Minnesota artifacts there, honoring coach Herb Brooks greatly. Then there were sections about the NHL's Wild, and high school hockey in the state. I noticed the really nice framed metal sports team logos of the previous pro hockey teams, the Fighting Saints and North Stars. It reminded me of a bar at a comedy club in Bloomington, which had it for pro football teams since it is near the site of the former Met Stadium.
   We also liked finding the gas station designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, in Cloquet. I thought it was odd to see his name and picture on a sign. So on the way back from the Hall of Fame, we did look around there. I went upstairs to the lounge, and since I needed to use a bathroom (and it was unlocked) I did use the one onsite. Really impressed with how it looked, but it appears to be just a car repair shop now. Pleased to find out it's historic enough to be listed on the National Register, the plate is near the stairway.
   We ran into a traffic jam on the interstate on the way back to the Twin Cities, and decided to reroute. I had to make a quick decision to turn around when the chance presented itself. The turnaround place wasn't paved so I knew well enough to gun the engine to minimize the chance of getting stuck in the small amount of mud that I saw.
   It was a big weekend for postcards, as I bought four more today for a grand total of 18 for the weekend. Besides one at the Hall, I got two at a convenience store- of the Iron Range. The fourth was from an ethnic souvenir shop, in Cloquet, which has items from Sweden and other Scandivanian nations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment