Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Powerball Office Pool

When I was cleaning up at the workplace I looked inside one file cabinet and found two items. One was a green manila folder, and the other was a double sided copy of Powerball tickets from October 6, 2004- no joke. Looks like 92 entries in all, may have been an office pool. There were 17 names listed, all first names only. It did say that 7 entries were a carryover from October 2, listed on a separate line from the other 85. Since I don't play the lottery much, I am unsure what 'carryover' means unless those were free plays. It is likely a good story to tell about how it got there, or maybe just plain dull. But I know at the office some employees move from one cubicle to another fairly often, like once a year. I've discovered some similar items over the years, like a laminated Chicago map in the glovebox of the car I currently own. I know full well how easily things can 'fall though the cracks' and get caught inside something and just stay there undiscovered for a long time, and in some cases, years later.
   At the comedy club tonight, I was onstage and I did try a joke about being at the Renaissance Festival. The one I call 'magic man' was the MC. Because he does more than just comedy, he has a magic act as well. I was a little surprised how I was getting laughs before telling any jokes.
   At work the payoff report did not arrive, I.T. issues apparently. So I had to be more creative about how to stay busy. Besides finding the Powerball ticket copy I went through other files. It meant moving things around a little and I did find a few things I hadn't seen in a while. I sent a few pages to the recycle bin as I noticed I had copied some emails more than once. Some of these were from my students in the mentoring program I am a part of. It was the first time in a while that my inbox at work was under 100 emails, just barely at 99. I delete when I no longer need them, like after I print them.
   Liked seeing Bob Newhart on Jimmy Kimmel tonight, usually I don't watch the show. I'm pleased that Bob still performs but he enjoys it. I've enjoyed many of his roles in movies and TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment