Saturday, September 1, 2012

Star Earring and 3 Screws

I saw a star earring and 3 screws in the change counter when I went to the bank today. So I took them out and threw them in the trash nearby. Also claimed 2 quarters- 1 U.S. and 1 Canadian. It meant an extra quarter for my total, but it was just the third as I prefer using quarters for the laundry and buying the paper on Fridays. I am more likely to save them for later use in my wooden change dish- and not have them in my change bank. I liked seeing a nameplate for a teller there, though it wasn't the one who helped me. It had her title as 'director of cheerfulness'. So I got a picture of it as I have a friend that would like seeing it.
   I did watch the Iowa football game at a sports bar today, it was the season opener. They were playing Northern Illinois at Chicago's Soldier Field, a showcase game. I had seen this matchup in 2007, and I recall how there were plenty of Hawkeye fans at the game. Iowa trailed for a while, couldn't move the ball but was kicking field goals. My date went home to walk the dog when they trailed, 17-9, late and predicted an Iowa loss. But the Hawkeyes kicked another field goal to make it 17-12, and went on to win 18-17. The defense nearly got a safety and a short punt, coupled with a modest return, meant Iowa got it just 25 yards from the end zone. So one TD proved to be enough. I said that field position made a world of difference. It looks like it's a good idea that non-conference patsies are scheduled early on, in case teams start out flat as they still might find a way to win. Hard to say what can be expected of the Hawkeyes this year, though I haven't made plans just yet to attend a game. I have two offers for tickets through the alumni association, one of them is the 'members tailgate' in October against Penn State. Will likely want to get those tickets ordered soon, don't want to wait too much longer since the season has started now and there's more interest in the team than in the off-season probably.
   In the evening after the gamewatch was over, we attended a St. Paul Saints baseball game. It was the fifth of the season  for me, and the last. There are just two more games left and the Saints are not headed to the playoffs, but did beat Wichita tonight. It was 'Bounty Night', and there were football-shaped piggy banks as the giveaway item. One picture from this game was of a train car near the outfield wall of the stadium, which said 'Simplot'. We looked it up and found out it is a potato company based in Idaho, a big supplier to the McDonald's fast-food chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment