Monday, September 3, 2012

Mermaids and Long Bows

Went to the Renaissance Festival today, saw the Merry Men show which is part of the Robin Hood show. The theater guy was a part of it, and ended up in the water 4 times. I gave a donation after the show. The day ended with seeing the long bow archery demonstration, along with the mermaids which was a new exhibit. I got plenty of pictures, even saw the manager of a comedy club there.
   I did some laundry in the late afternoon and early evening, it led to me ripping up a sock and tossing it in the trash since I saw a hole in it after the laundry was done. Saw a banner for a festival at a Catholic church nearby while doing laundry. Besides food, there is also a car show and live music planned as activities. When I went outside to take out the trash and recycle I heard a police siren, somebody asked me what it was but didn't know. I said anything that attracts a crowd is considered to  be news so I said it may end up on the news.
   Many of the minor league baseball clubs ended their season today, Labor Day. I was pleased that my 'hometown' Iowa Cubs finished with attendance at over a half million, the 9th time in the past 11 years. It's a popular tourist attraction in the state, second only to the state fair in terms of the crowds they have. Attendance was good despite a losing record. I know what helps them is having minimal competition for entertainment. It's Triple-A, the top minor league club for the Chicago Cubs. The other teams in Iowa are in the eastern part of the state, and Single-A. It's the only pro baseball team for miles around. I am pleased that I made it to one game in May. I would like to make it more often but it is a long drive to Des Moines and I tend to have so many other things planned during the summer that it is hard to make it more than once a season.

No comments:

Post a Comment