Sunday, September 2, 2012

Spirits of St. Paul Movie

I went to see a gangster movie on St. Paul's East Side in the late afternoon with my date. Hadn't been to this theater before, known as the Mounds Theater. The movie was called 'Spirits of St. Paul' and the actress playing Ma Barker I recognized as a fellow comic. We spoke after the show. Notable about the theater was the beer sales, which is not typical. They had Schell's beer. I liked getting pictures of some of the murals inside, one of them was a girl in a flapper dress. The costumes were not necessarily correct for the time period being covered but it was a good story nonetheless. Since I've seen much of the Twin Cities I was thinking some of the locations where it was filmed did look familiar. I stayed for the closing credits and was correct about a few, like Phil's Tara Hideaway in Stillwater. They use a Dillinger picture in their ad that I've seen in City Pages. I've eaten there once before, but not during Lumberjack Days. This festival in July was often the only time I would get to that town all year. But I figured it would be less busy at another time, and it helps that the town is not far from the East Side, less than 20 miles.
   After the movie I got a picture of the sign in front of the former Schmidt Brewery, about the work being done there. I have heard how there's a really nice Rathskeller on the property. I am hopeful it is open to the public again to see what it looks like after renovation. I have enjoyed seeing a Rathskeller before, as there is one at the state Capitol, albeit kind of hard to find, and of course at Turner Hall in New Ulm. It reminds me of my dad sometimes saying 'you can find him in the Rathskeller' but I'm trying to remember where he would say this. One possible answer was Adventureland, the theme park near Des Moines.

No comments:

Post a Comment