Friday, June 5, 2015

Funny Bone Des Moines

    I headed out of town for the weekend, after picking up mail at my PO Box this morning. After I checked into my hotel, I made it to see a comedy show at the Funny Bone in Des Moines, actually in West Des Moines, not far from my hotel. This was after a quick visit of my hometown of Newton. The visit to Newton included finding the Wittemberg Church and Cemetery, which in the past year got a national designation for being on the Underground Railroad. The church was locked up as it was closed back in November, but I understand it was bought by a non-profit and can be rented for events. I noticed there was somebody over at the Wittemberg Grange building, and I spoke to this woman for a while, she lives there as it was converted into a house. She did give me a publication that wrote about the building. We spoke for a while as I liked hearing about the history of the area, and it sounds like I went to school with her niece who now lives in Minnesota like I do, but way up north in Bemidji. I liked how she told me about one tombstone there, an obelisk, was for somebody who was assassinated after the Civil War ended. So now I have something to look up. I did have some ice cream at the Dairy Queen, and went over to Emerson Hough School. I noticed one of the bricks from when the fort and playground existed was given by my football coach, so I did take a picture of it. At some point it likely means adding some of the Newton pictures to my Facebook albums.
    The MC at the comedy show was from Omaha, feature from New York, and the headliner from Kansas City. I asked the headliner if he ever has Twin City gigs, sounds like he has worked with Mason City before. I learned how comedy isn't much different based on where you go, as it is about living life. It was even what I said about seeing a show in Great Britain. The themes of many of the jokes I heard tonight were familiar, such as weed, living with parents, cocaine, going to a Ren-Fest, Walmart, condoms, and callbacks to some earlier jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment