Saturday, June 20, 2015

Live From New York Movie

    This evening I went to see the movie 'Live from New York', a documentary about Saturday Night Live, at the Edina theater. I liked it, worth seeing. No surprise how not all of the cast members were interviewed, as 40 years was being covered. It made sense to cover the original cast members from 1975-1980, as well as executive producer Lorne Michaels, who returned after a 5-year absence. At times I laughed, but I also wiped away a tear after seeing footage of 9/11. This was followed by the first show after it. And I agreed with one line in it, in response to a dust-up on social media after a sketch: 'If you don't like it, don't laugh at it'. I do comedy, and I know full well how no laughs speaks louder than anything else. After the movie I heard an employee quote a song, I said it is Neil Young if I am not mistaken as the line was 'Doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you'. I said I liked two Neil Young songs in particular, 'Searching for a heart of gold' and 'Rocking in the free world' and she said I would like 'Harvest moon' as well.
   Also today, I picked up mail at my post office just before closing time. There were four E-bay orders, one of them was the 'Up In The Air' movie shirt and the other three were postcards. Then it was on to the library to print things. Since a Target store was nearby I went there to get two gifts for my cousin's wedding which is coming up. I bought four items as I saw there was a Charlie Brown and Snoopy display in the back, related to summer. So I got a placemat showing Charlie playing baseball, and a plastic cup with a lid showing Snoopy and Woodstock displaying American flags.
   After I brought things home I went out again, to the Science Museum. After I parked I bought some popcorn at Candyland. I hate to admit that this was a lackluster visit. It started early, with getting a ticket, then finding out the free ticket I was given was good only for the movie and not the space exhibit. There was also a wait to see the movie, so I looked around at other parts of the museum and then ordered food. I didn't like how it was 'Plus tax' on the prices, too much of a surprise to me. I did see an employee I knew, somebody I have rode the bus with but her schedule changed recently due to one food outlet being closed for renovation. Then when I arrived at the space exhibit there was a wait to get in and a wait to see the International Space Station simulator. I was no doubt cranky after all of what happened. I recall thinking of two things at this exhibit. The first thing was how some subjects covered were also on 'Big bang theory'. The other was how I didn't like science classes as I didn't like the instructors. The latter was likely why it was harder to enjoy the exhibit. I do enjoy the ones at the Minnesota History Center more, as I majored in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment