Thursday, June 18, 2015

Manufactured Rival?

     I did another guest set tonight at the comedy club, same comic I opened for last year. It went well, I liked seeing some friends at the club who said they liked it. Bathtub said it flowed better than others he had seen. I would say this is true, as what I say is experience pays. I know by now what works and what doesn't. I knew two of the performers tonight, besides the headliner who is originally from Canada, and I went on after 3 entrants in the annual contest. Four were scheduled but there was a no-show. Postage stamp was MC, and Perkins was feature. Now I have to wonder if Perkins really is a 'Manufactured rival' since one former employee said he once referred to me as a friend. It can be hard to tell but I have decided to embrace having a 'Manufactured rival' as it seems to be common in the comedy community.
     Long straw also was there, and after the show I decided to add postage stamp and long straw to my 'Ring of honor'. I already did a Facebook posting saying how thankful I am for the opportunity to perform tonight, knowing even a guest set is coveted by most comics. In it I spoke of how I visited with the headliner after my set, and eventually I mentioned my former boss and mentor. To me it was no accident, as the two definitely have three things in common. Both are Canadian, both I met in suburban Chicago (though one was while I lived and worked there for nearly 6 years) and both gave me a chance to show off my talents when others wouldn't. I might overdo it on saying 'Thank you', but the sting of failure does make one thankful for any successes. In my set I spoke of getting in the mood to perform by listening to music, specifically Nicki Minaj and Rihanna. Then I told the story of a previous time I was an opening act, back in April for the Big Dog. I also spoke of my dad and telling me about Bob Hope, meeting a panhandler, and some of the nutty people I deal with at the office. It was a great feeling to hear how some crowd members liked my set after the show when I was next to the merchandise table. I spoke with an usher there. Also notable tonight was my likely first meeting with the club owner before the show, who spoke with Bathtub as he is headlining next week. Since Bathtub and his lady make me feel included, especially at a friend's wedding last year, I said I will try to see one of his shows next week.
    Postage stamp did ones about driving on two-lane highways, and turning 30. I did film myself tonight, but the final contestant was also filmed as I set it up just before I went on. When Perkins spoke of me during his set, I did yell out 'Manufactured rival'. Headliner did ones about want to slap them like Huck Finn, ruined cole slaw, I'm married things change, Indy cars, built a Gatling gun, Statue of Liberty, gluten free is more, call it Minneapolis, very interactive, cars not good at merging, underwriting insurance, retired people in traffic, saw Subaru in the lot, smell toast, always uppercut, C-section, waffle skin, got our Sundays back, before Internet, that's a benefit, shave club, a doctor office, we're not married, and two vibrators.

No comments:

Post a Comment