Saturday, January 16, 2016

great expectations play

tonight I went to see the play 'great expectations' at park square theater in downtown st. paul. this is a venue where I see one play a season. I hadn't read the Charles dickens novel that serves as the basis though. when we reached intermission I said it reminded me of a 'simpsons' episode where bart was briefly an heir to mr. burns. the way the main character, pip, was also narrator also reminded me of 'forrest gump'. one line I really liked was spoken by the reclusive rich lady. it was how 'beauty is a weapon' and 'love is poison'. sad but true. it sure had some twists and turns, especially in the second act. at intermission I got some cashews and hot chocolate. it was the three dollars I was given as change upon arrival. the previous day I was told to ask for it, as they couldn't make change then. I said send me with a note to this effect as I am no doubt demonstrative. the ticket manager made a joke how it would 'break the bank' but I said I would likely be giving it back if there was food and drink that I wanted, and I was right. before I saw the play I did like seeing how there have been various film adaptions. what caught my attention the most was how there was a 'south park' episode about it. I would like to think it at least has been referenced, if not parodied, on 'the simpsons' as well. I liked how not reading the novel or seeing any of the movie versions wasn't a hindrance at all. I of course am familiar with other novels written by dickens, including 'scrooge' (aka Christmas carol) and 'oliver twist'. I had seen the latter as a play at como park, but it was known as 'oliver'. notable was sitting next to a woman who was from out of town. based on her accent, I would have guessed a foreign country like great Britain. but she said she was from Maryland and was in town for the figure skating championships, which are starting at 'the x' this weekend. she had seen an orchestra show the previous night, in Minneapolis as I recall.
   also notable today was getting my hair cut for a date. I knew it was the first haircut since a st. paul saints game in august. I at first went to sport clips, 2-hour wait. so I went to another place in Eagan, got in right away. the date was at a pub in st. paul, first visit there. there was a short wait for a table, at first we were told 10-20 minutes but it was shorter. I didn't want to wait for too long when it was subzero outside and not much waiting space inside. after the date was done I printed some things at the library and then fell asleep in my easy chair after getting home. I knew I had to get up to get groceries and I did after watching the 6pm news. but I still made it on time to the play, aided by deciding to park in a ramp across the street.   

No comments:

Post a Comment