Sunday, January 10, 2016

presidential bobbleheads

it was subzero weather outside so I didn't feel like going out unless I really needed to. one of the things I did was get more pictures that will eventually be added to my facebook page. I don't think I have one added yet from Washington, dc, as my most recent visit was 2009, same year I joined. I do have three presidential bobbleheads though. two were from the Washington nationals, as they have the 'racing presidents' to entertain fans between innings. I understand it was originally the four mount rushmore presidents but they have since added William howard taft. anyway, back in 2007 I made a visit to RFK stadium, the final season the nationals would be playing there. I would have liked getting the Lincoln bobblehead but it was not the one being given out at that game, against the st. louis cardinals. Thomas Jefferson was on that night. I bought another one from e-bay, Theodore Roosevelt, as I do some mentoring at Roosevelt high school in Minneapolis. naturally I also liked reading is how 'teddy' is emerson hough's friend. the third was also bought from e-bay, but was not from the nationals series like the other two are. I have learned that just about any famous person- living or dead- can now be found in bobblehead form. it did remind me of when I worked with somebody in suburban Chicago that I called 'bobblehead doll' as all she ever did was agree with me. so for now, the picture of these three bobbles will have to do in terms of anything from d.c. as it can be a real pain to scan something that dates back before memory cards. and I think most of those four d.c. visits did. all three have memorials there, though the one for teddy is not as well known as it is an island in the Potomac. I found it after discovering it was best accessed on foot from the Virginia side of the river, not all that far from the iwo jima memorial. as a history major in many ways a bobble of a president interests me more than one of some sports stars would.
   the first time I went out was to get fuel for my car before heading for the comedy club, the donut show, in the afternoon. I figured I might arrive late if I waited for the light rail so I drove to the club. it was nice to get stage time there. the host, grizzly adams, called the regular mc, international falls, during the show. she is in los angeles but I think will be back soon. I listened to much of the Vikings playoff game against the seahawks on the radio, but it was still going on when I got to the club. so I finished watching it there, Vikings lost 10-9 after a last second field goal went wide left. it sounded like another show was still happening, after being canceled at first, but I didn't go. there were other things I wanted to get done, like go through a bag of travel souvenirs from the past summer. I did find some items that I was able to add to my comedy binders, like the list from the show I performed at when I was in Toronto.
     I also watched 'the simpsons', where bart had a sub teacher who served in the military. after the episode was done I went out again, to take the trash and recycle out and then eat at taco bell. I was fine as long as I was moving, and it helped that there was little or no wind. I also exchanged some text messages with a match from e-harmony. I know full well it is a good thing when I get a phone number so even though I am not big on texting I know it helps to try to be accommodating.
    another thing I did was cut back even further on my facebook friends list. I am now down to 290, after thinking it might be too hard to go lower than 300. if I am looking, I can find those to be purged. it is usually somebody that I haven't heard from in a while. but sometimes it is somebody that I find to be annoying. can I cut even further? probably. call me crazy, but I see nothing wrong with wanting quality and try to have it reflect the true friends I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment