Thursday, February 4, 2016

extend me some courtesy

I will have to admit that the events of the previous day really did influence my time back at the office today. I was doing a flex schedule, for a date that was canceled, and when I did drawer lockup I liked hearing 'thank you' from a colleague I don't hear from much. And I said it was nice to hear it, since I don't hear it all that often. I spoke of what happened, being disrespected at the mentoring event. it led to me quoting a line from the movie 'a few good men' starring jack Nicholson. although I took out the swear words, as it is after all still at the office. It was the line when the Tom Cruise character lands in Cuba and he is told 'to extend me some courtesy'. it meant that I stayed longer at the office than I probably should have. but what did it matter, when the date had already been canceled, and I really didn't need to be anywhere?
   I told myself I should confer with somebody in the program before I made any decisions. I chose one of the teachers, especially when my beef is with the event coordinator. I know full well that it is hard to enjoy most things, be it a class or a job, if I don't like who is in charge of it. although the email conversation with the teacher only seemed to validate my reasons why I need to quit the program effective immediately. I spoke of how my student has been a no-show, and was told not to take it personally. well I still do! I've tried to make a difference with these students and it is frustrating that I haven't yet. especially when I know the event coordinator has been disrespectful numerous times before. he is guilty of doing things like razzing me about what college I attended (really? how old are we?) as well as trying to blame me for why students weren't sending emails. usually we found out it was due to the student leaving the school and nobody bothered to tell me. the teacher said a student had lodged a complaint against me, but when I was told which one, I knew it was from over a year ago. why am I only hearing about it now? I can't do anything if I don't know what is wrong. and why would I make disparaging comments about a school, when I am helping out at the school? it is really far-fetched. same kid wanted to be on his phone and talk to his friends more than talk to me. the teacher asked if it would work better if I switched to another role, like helping out behind the scenes. but I said not if it meant working with the event coordinator that disrespected me. I grew tired of feeling 'less than valued'. this is something like year 9 in the program, and are they aware that I am taking time off of work to be there? my boss gives me a certificate every year on my service anniversary as a way of saying 'thank you.' and I don't think I have ever received one from the mentoring program. I had considered finishing out the year, didn't want the kid to feel bad about it. but the kid doesn't want me as a mentor, and i haven't met the kid yet, so why should I care?
    tonight i watched 2 episodes of 'big bang theory'. syndicated rerun was when bob Newhart was a guest star, along with Bill Nye, so it was bob's second guest appearance. prime time episode was when Sheldon's grandma visits, and she doesn't like Amy. i walked around a little after it, and got some microwave popcorn at the family dollar. i also checked the closest redbox, but they still don't have a movie i want to see, 'straight out of compton'. i had hoped to hear from a friend who lives in st. louis, but all i got was a text message in response to my 2 voicemails saying 'i am exhausted, will call you this weekend'.

No comments:

Post a Comment