Saturday, February 20, 2016

where to invade next movie

I went to see the Michael moore documentary 'where to invade next' at the lagoon in Minneapolis this afternoon. I liked it as it is hopeful. so this meant I liked it more than 'Fahrenheit 9/11' which made me sad and angry. I already spoke of seeing this movie on facebook and twitter. I understand mr. moore is retweeting what moviegoers are saying about it. hard to say if this will include me. I did say 'thank you' for showing the 35w bridge collapse, in reference to the nation's crumbling infrastructure. that night in 2007 is one I will probably never forget. I got plenty of calls wanting to know if I was all right. I recalled one of the cartoons in the paper saying 'land of 10,000 tears' on a Minnesota license plate, instead of 10,000 lakes. he covered many different subjects, in all of the travels he made to Europe and north Africa. it means looking up Slovenia, but based on where it was depicted on the map this must be the former Yugoslavia. a quick check of Wikipedia confirms it, but that is all I looked up at this point. it meant something to me when covering the paid vacation that workers get. I get something like 5 weeks a year, but it is due to working for the same company for 17 years. not many perks with a non-union job, but seniority is one of them. it is likely why I have stayed so long, as I am afraid I would have to start over at another company with less vacation time. I also liked mention of standardized tests, where officials in other countries recommend doing away with them. I know I lashed out against them, saying it was a 'little game of fill in the dots' and I didn't believe that a college application should put so much stress on these scores. same is true with trying to get scholarships. I don't agree with everything that mr. moore has to say, but I am still willing to listen to it as he is covering issues that others won't touch. I think I have seen all of his movies, going back to seeing 'roger and me', his first, in high school. this was on cable TV, cinemax, on 'vanguard cinema'. I made it an event to see them at the theater, including seeing 'Fahrenheit 9/11' on the 4th of july. another one saw on that date, but a different year of course, was 'sicko' if I am not mistaken. I bought a bag of sour cream and cheddar chips at a nearby grocery store and had eaten most of them before the movie began, as I was hungry and wanted to be on time for the movie.
   after the movie I went on to the mall in Roseville and exchanged a pair of corduroy pants that didn't fit. this time I got something not on the sale rack, and not corduroy. it meant paying more, using up the rest of the gift card money I had, but it was worth it as I took great care in seeing that it fit this time. I got home and did my weekly grocery store order, then it was out the door again. there was a play to see in downtown st. paul, whopper was in it. I liked it, laughed a lot, especially about the awkward explanations of 'I didn't mean to do it' as it was relatable. it was called 'tamburlaine'. it was about a shepherd and a king, and some parts of the storyline reminded me of 'macbeth'. I took the bus there, and after the play I rode with a heavyset man wearing a timberwolves hat and some warmup basketball pants. odd, since he looked anything but athletic. he spoke of knowing a woman who had a Pontiac firebird trans am that was in the 'smokey and the bandit' movie , and something about making out on the hood of the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment