Saturday, February 27, 2016

spotlight movie

tonight I went to see the movie 'spotlight' as I wanted to see something that was nominated for Oscars before the Oscars. it was long, just over tow hours, but I didn't mind at all. I was left impressed by the role played by mark ruffalo, as I like passion and he had in it. makes sense why he has been nominated for an Oscar for his role, in the category of best supporting actor. I also found the role played by Michael Keaton to be well-done. it did remind me of where I was during the time period covered, as much of the investigation was in 2001. I was on vacation in boston that year, in may. I stayed at a motel 6 in Braintree, and saw a red sox baseball game vs. Toronto. one scene is at a red sox game. and of course depiction of the terrorist attacks of September 11 is there as well, as it figures into the story. the movie suggests the breaking of the story in the boston globe paper was delayed due to 9/11. the closing credits showed a long list of other cities where a scandal within the catholic church was discovered, some of them international, due to this story.
   notable about this movie was walking to the theater, as my car is in the shop. I went to the library in Roseville to do my taxes, at least the federal return, and when I came out my car wouldn't start. this happened a week earlier, but then it started the next morning. well I happened to be home that time, so I could afford to let it sit. but it happened again, so I need to know why and try to get it corrected. I turn the key the other way and the radio works, as does the lights. so it does seem to be an ignition thing. it meant getting a tow, which of course I wasn't thrilled about especially when it was a long wait, over an hour, and I didn't have to go far, less than a mile to the midas shop. thankfully I made it to the theater and back without incident. I walked quickly and with a purpose, but I also noticed how the sidewalks were deserted and not many cars on the road either. I started my walk just after midnight, and it took me just under 30 minutes on foot to get home.
    I hated how the car problems meant putting my schedule on hold, but not much I could do. seeing the movie was one of the things on my list, so I liked how I still got to it but it was much later in the day than originally planned. another thing I wanted to do was see the suburbia exihibit at the Minnesota history center, well I can push this back a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment