Monday, February 15, 2016

rain on the scarecrow, john mellencamp

tonight on the way to the comedy club I heard the song 'rain on the scarecrow' by john mellencamp. I recall this song being a hit when I was young, in 1985 as I recall. after hearing it tonight I had to find it on youtube. memorable is the spoken introduction with the three farmers wearing garst seed hats, and how they don't need more loans. growing up in small town iowa during the 1980s farm crisis it was hard to ignore. it was in the news fairly often, with bank failures and sheriff sales. sometimes one only heard about a small town when their only bank failed, like in odebolt or Massena. later on the basketball team from Massena made the state tournament, and it was said it was the first time the town had made the state-wide news since the bank failure. what would you rather have, the basketball team or the bank failure? there was also the mass murder committed by dale burr near iowa city in 1985, where he killed his banker, wife and neighbor before turning the gun on himself. it was desperate times for many out there. there was a movie called 'country' about the farm crisis as well, starring wilford Brimley and Jessica lange. later on I saw it on video, I recalled the 'no sale' chant at an auction. with 'rain on the scarecrow' lyrics like '400 empty acres that used to be my farm' and '97 crosses planted in the courthouse yard' were most memorable. I guess it is because the imagery is captured well. mellencamp is from Indiana, and the way it was written it almost sounded like an autobiography. he must have witnessed it close-up in that area. and he was well-known for being part of 'farm aid', the benefit concerts.
   I wasn't picked at the first club but I got stage time at the second. I did one about being asked if I wanted to buy any girl scout cookies, I said I had just bought a box on Friday. I asked if they would be there that day, as it is payday, sounded like the answer was no.

No comments:

Post a Comment