Tuesday, February 2, 2016

soft closing of office

a snowstorm led to an announcement that our office would have a 'soft closing' at 2:30pm. I wanted to tie up some loose ends so I made it out around 3pm. since I am out of the office the next day for a Roosevelt mentoring event, I wanted to see things like an out of office reply was up before leaving. I said I was fine with leaving early as long as they pay me for a full day, and they will. before leaving downtown I stopped at a Walgreen and picked up a few items I needed, like Aim toothpaste as well as toilet paper. I got a small bag of trail mix as well, that was eaten before the bus arrived. I waited nearly 20 minutes for my bus, then decided to take one that traced some of the route. so it meant transferring after a while. thankfully I didn't have to wait long at the transfer point. I made it home after 4pm, and slept for over an hour. when I woke up I knew I needed to check facebook for the location of where I was performing tonight, and to get the mapquest directions as well. it meant staying on 'stoplight roads'. I prefer those during winter weather as it is easier to stop when needed, as one is going slower. it worked fine on getting there and getting back. I even did a bit about driving over, as it included mention of a song I heard on my car radio, 'it's my life' by no doubt. I also spoke of valuable lessons from winter driving, like when I drove my car into the median on the interstate when I was in college. I picked up a deli express sandwich at a nearby gas station before the show.
   after the show I still felt hungry so I went to a super-America and got a hot dog. I also went online once I got home and signed up for a meet-up event on Friday. I was bummed about the first event I signed up for being canceled, to be held at an art museum. so I needed some time to bounce back. on the way back I stopped at the chatterbox that closed recently. I read the two signs posted stating the closure. I got photos of them. as expected, it said 'please visit our two other locations'. I am used to seeing this when one location closes. really all that can be done is to write it off as 'economic darwinism', a term I have used before.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment