Wednesday, February 10, 2016

latch key kid

I saw the Filipino man in the break room this morning and I spoke of my plant doing well after 8 years. another employee spoke about how it means I would be good at parenting, which had to be a joke. eventually I spoke of 'latch key kids' and said I was one, he didn't know what this meant. I said it likely refers to kids having to get themselves into the homes they live in. I was correct. the Wikipedia article said kids who arrive at an empty home as the parents are at work. there was also a link to the term 'free range parenting' and credit was given to dr. Benjamin spock. I understand he is controversial, and was mentioned in the movie 'look who's talking'. the characters in it had conflicting opinions about that man. the article does seem to explain some things about me, like how I value my independence as I knew things often didn't get done unless I did them. hard to say on what level that time still influences me, as we continually evolve throughout life. I don't hold this up as a badge of honor by any means though. but it does explain why I still want to pay it forward and find a kid that I can mentor as I knew how much it meant to me to find those who cared after being 'emotionally orphaned'. I know tetris spoke of this as well, to a small extent.
  it was great being back at the performance venue tonight, and I liked trying out mostly new jokes. some of these included ones I was inspired to do based on events that had happened earlier today. like having my phone on for the time and it was what woke me up when I fell asleep after getting home. it was from my school's alumni association. then after I had eaten at taco bell, and went to pick up a few items at family dollar, I was called again. this time it was from a politician's campaign. I needed toilet paper and invisible tape. I did do a reference to the 'latch key' term, but made it more about the TV show 'perfect strangers' as it reminded me of larry teaching balki about American life. I also spoke of songs by sia that I recently heard, as well as 'tears of a clown'. it is not just a song by smokey robinson's band, but also a reference made in an Eminem song. in addition, I liked hearing 'miss misery' by Elliott smith when I arrived. it reminded me of my favorite movie, 'good will hunting'. and it led to mention of another favorite movie, 'up in the air', as another one of his songs is in it, 'angel in the snow'. and I spoke of looking forward to my annual Chicago visit.
   I liked getting the letters caught up at the office, but it wasn't easy as it meant I was really busy with it after getting my share of the payoff report done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment