Wednesday, February 3, 2016

pericles play at guthrie

I had the day off from work so I could attend a Shakespeare play at the Guthrie in Minneapolis, as part of the Roosevelt mentoring program. it was 'pericles', a play I didn't know but I know some of the Shakespeare plays are obscure. it was all right, I read the Wikipedia article in advance of watching it so I knew what to expect from it. it was funny at times. but sadly, I will remember this event for two other reasons. one was my student was a no-show, again. the other was what happened with the event coordinator. I asked if any help was needed after the play, as we were waiting for lunch to be served. he failed to acknowledge what I had said, told me to 'go back', and pushed me away. when I confronted later on about it I got a weak apology. I have better things to do with my time than to take a day off from work and get disrespected at a volunteer program. so now I will have to do some soul searching and figure out if it is a good idea to continue. I have had some hangups with the program before, like the constant 'lack of effort' on the part of the students I am assigned. or in the case of one last year, he was disrespectful by wanting to spend time on his phone or talking to friends, things he can do somewhere else. or there was even the time when I was 'un-invited' to a year-end event, and I was told it was due to not having a student in the program, which wasn't my fault. adding insult to injury was getting a message saying 'we have a big day planned' after I was un-invited. I said I have been a fill-in before when mentors were out, and it was no big deal before. and I am willing to help out any way I can. so then I was re-invited, as I could help with the food. but it was still hard to forget what had happened. I put forth the effort that is being requested, sending emails on a regular basis and showing up at in-person events. I think this is year 9 for me, and so far I have missed just one event, and there are four a year. even after my grandma's funeral in 2008, I still made it as there was no scheduling conflict. so I really don't care for the 'slap in the face' that I seem to get all the time, where I just don't feel valued.
   I performed at two different comedy venues tonight, and did a bit about this event at both. it is my way of 'dumping pain'. much like the previous day, when I got home I slept. different this time was deciding to get up and go to the post office before 5pm to check my box, but there was nothing in it. I knew this likely would be the case, as I haven't ordered anything from e-bay or amazon in a while. but I still wanted to check as you never know what might be there.
  I got a private message on facebook from Morton salt, it was waiting for me when I got back from the play. he said he liked reading the blog, especially what I had written about dating frustrations. so it must have been the entry from two days ago. I like hearing when people read it but I usually don't know unless they tell me. he did say some do get started on families later in life. I said I had been putting more pressure on myself as I felt like I was running out of time. most of the people I know from school, or in my extended family, are married or have been. and I still have a hard time getting past date one, late alone date three or month two. most of the time I think being single doesn't bother me much, as I value my independence. this is especially helpful when wanting to perform. but part of me still has the urge to try to find somebody I can share things with.

No comments:

Post a Comment