Friday, February 5, 2016

first meetup event

I finally got to a meetup event tonight, it was Brazilian music at a st. paul bar. I met the co-host first, he said he was an accountant for the postal service. some were interested in the blog so I did give out business cards. I got some photos as well. It felt like one dude looked familiar, like possibly at a match dot-com bowling event over a year ago. I think I will do it again, when the schedule allows of course. there was the silly conversations on the couch.
  I did announce by email to the event coordinators how I was ending my involvement with the mentoring program, effective immediately. it was after I followed up with the teacher that I had aired my grievances with the previous day. I did say 'my door is open' as to why, though I am not changing my mind. the event coordinator wanted to hear more, but our schedules don't match up well. at the same time, I realized that it is a 'conflict of interest' to speak with him further, and have some other event coordinator take my statement.
   I saw both bus friends, morning and early evening. saw the science museum employee in the morning, who spoke of closing on a house in a few months. I said I would attend if there was a house warming party. it did remind me of the Filipino man I work with, who spoke of his expected citizenship ceremony this year. I was told to find out how long he has been here, and he said 3 years.
  besides the mentoring program ordeal, I was occupied at work with other issues. there was the failed interview with the STEP program. but I am thankful I got somebody who cared enough to say why I wasn't picked and how to improve my interviewing skills. I was definitely combative and frustrated, even said 'I am convinced that I have to lie, cheat and steal'. another was 'interviews are impossible'.
he did write down some things in the notebook that I had available. then I saw how I can apply the lessons of performing to interviewing, on being prepared better. though I still believe in trying to play games with a better chance of winning. there was no doubt more passion stirred up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment