Friday, March 11, 2016

gallery cabaret, chicago

this evening I got stage time at a place called gallery cabaret on Chicago's north side. it was tough to find it after stepping off the blue line at the western avenue stop, I kept making wrong turns on the walk. I did get photos while I was there, along with some show announcements as souvenirs. one of the photos was of a neon sign of homer simpson. there was cans of hamm's beer for two dollars, and I drank one. it was great that it worked out on finding a place to perform. I did start off the set with the part about trying to find it. I also did 'how to speak minnesotan' and mention of some of the birthday offers I have. and I spoke of being an ex-suburbanite. this was day one of my annual visit to the area to see some 'old haunts'. I know this city was called the 'city of big shoulders' by carl sandburg.
    things did run smoothly, at least the security check at MSP did despite the news saying there have been long delays recently. but my flight on American airlines was delayed, not sure why other than it is a shuttle and the plane we were using arrived late. the delay was just under an hour. I was notified when the airline called my phone.
    I did see both things that were on my list for the first day. this included the frank Lloyd wright home and studio, and the ernest hemingway museum, both in oak park. I paid the extra five dollars for a photography pass at the wright tour. I figured I should when I like photography so much. and there was plenty to take pictures of, like some murals. on my way to oak park I stopped at a brown's chicken for lunch, according to the receipt it was in Melrose park. it can be hard to tell at times where the city limits are while driving unless you're really paying attention. I am driving a little fiat that I rented from enterprise. after I was done in oak park I then went back up north and checked into my hotel in elk grove village. I got a filet o fish sandwich and a shamrock shake at the mcdonald's across the road before hitting the road again to find the performance venue. notable at the mcdonald's was wanting to stay long enough to hear most of  'tide is high' by blondie. I pay close attention to music wherever I go. after I was done performing I made it to a Walgreen in des plaines just 10 minutes before closing, as they closed at midnight. I wanted some shaving equipment and I got some reese's peanut butter as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment