Sunday, March 13, 2016

jefferson park CTA stop

I liked finding the Jefferson park CTA stop today. usually I just passed by it and didn't look around as I had somewhere else to go. I had read on Wikipedia how there was a statue of Thomas Jefferson at this transit center and this prompted me to find it. he is seen with a copy of the declaration of independence and encircling the statue it says 'the will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government'. there was also a plaque on the wall of the building that had a bio of Jefferson. I of course have a Jefferson bobble-head from visiting a Washington nationals baseball game in 2007.
   I had hoped to visit the Shedd Aquarium today but it was a no-go. I didn't order advance tickets, guess I was too busy. I called the number I found online and was told there would be an hour wait for tickets. and according to the website the cost of same-day advance tickets was over $50 when ordered online. so I decided to find other ways to stay occupied, and finding this statue was one of them. another was finding two of my 'old haunts' in des plaines, the first ray kroc mcdonald's and the place called gift depot. I had a strawberry pie and apple juice at the former and got some postcards at the latter. I also looked more closely at a building near the gift depot that I understood is the former post office. I did see the cornerstone that spoke of the postmaster general, and it said the building was dedicated in 1940. in the back was a newspaper coin rack, empty, and said it had twice the local news coverage or something like that. after this I knew I needed to move on and go back to my hotel in elk grove village and get my ticket to the wolves hockey game tonight in Rosemont. the wolves beat the Milwaukee admirals 4-2, coming from behind after trailing 2-0 at the end of the first period. it was tied 2-2 at the end of the second, and the wolves got the go-ahead goal with just a minute gone in the third. the final goal was an empty-netter. the first four goals of the game were scored on power plays.
I liked getting a fleece blanket, it was the giveaway tonight. and I am thankful that somebody in guest relations helped find me a breakaway game program. I didn't see them at the front gate. I saw him again as I was leaving the arena, he said his name is steve. I plan on making mention of who helped in hopes that he gets recognition for it.
   after the game I went to a Jewel-Osco grocery store in des plaines and got some planters peanuts and a can of beer. the beer was called pilsner urquell, from the Czech republic. I drank it in my hotel room while I wrote and reflected upon my visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment