Saturday, March 26, 2016

race movie, jesse owens

I saw the bio-pic about Olympic athlete jesse owens, called 'race', this afternoon in Eagan. it was the same theater I was at last week, may have been the same 'room' as well. I pay attention to most everything when going to movie theaters, start to finish. it means looking at the posters on display, the previews, all the way through to the credits. there was a poster for the sequel to 'barbershop', and a preview for it as well. I may have to see it since musician nicki minaj is in it. and I like watching the closing credits as I like seeing where movies are filmed and what music was used. it looks like much of the movie was filmed in Canada and Germany. as for the movie itself, I was somewhat familiar with what was covered in it. I had seen a documentary about the events leading up to the 1936 Olympic games in berlin, not sure what network, maybe HBO. so when they spoke of the role that avery brundage played, along with the American athletes taking a boat over to Germany for the games, I heard about this before. the movie serves as a reminder of how being famous isn't easy, as there were many who seemed to want a piece of jesse when the games had political overtones. as a history nerd and somebody who likes bio-pics, I knew I would see it, especially when the depression era of the 1930s is my favorite era to study. there were some disclaimers at the end of the movie, about things like the white house did not acknowledge his four gold medals. I know the 1980 'miracle on ice' hockey team got a white house visit, and it is customary now for championship sports teams to have this visit as well, but I don't know how common this was in that time. I am also used to bio-pics saying in the credits how it was 'based on actual events, but some scenes and characters were invented for dramatic effect' so this no longer bothers me on 'taking liberties' with the story. I have a few ideas about what was most likely invented, especially scenes away from the running track that had plenty of drama and passion in them. jesse ran track at ohio state, and of course my 'ohio friend' went to college there as well so I did think of her. another friend I thought of was international falls, who said I like bio-pics and loyalty programs. this is further evidence of it as I used my loyalty card, the only one for a movie theater that I know of. I was a little disappointed, but not entirely surprised, in seeing a sparse crowd at this showing, and the only one of the day scheduled at this theater. I know full well how movies about history don't appeal to the masses, unless it is 'bill and ted' or 'night at the museum'. and I had no shame whatsoever in going across the road before the movie began to a Walgreen to get an ice cream sandwich and some cashews for two dollars, before the movie, as I knew it would be cheaper there. after the movie I went to the nearby taco bell, which kind of shares the parking lot with the theater.
   I did do some errand running before seeing the movie, like going to the post office to check my p.o. box and one e-bay order was waiting. it was the mylar covers for coin collecting, nickel and quarter size. couldn't find them at barnes and noble. I used some of them already, but I am running low on staples at home so I will have to wait on getting more coins in the two albums I have. one of these now in the album was from a 'day to remember' when I was in high school. a classmate threw a nickel at me and wanted it back, we didn't get along. I said 'it is mine now'. I liked how being assertive worked, and I wrote on the mylar 'I stood up to the bum'. the coin is from 1977. I also went to the library and did my income taxes for the state of Minnesota, the federal one was already filed last month. so now I have the envelope ready and it will go in the mail on Monday. I didn't do much after getting back from the movie, first going to the grocery store. then I tried watching the college basketball tournament and fell asleep. I woke up in time to see how villanova beat Kansas to reach the final four.   

No comments:

Post a Comment