Friday, April 7, 2017

move your body, sia

well sia did it again, I found another song of hers that I really like. this one is 'move your body'. when I searched for it on youtube after hearing it on the radio recently I also found a beyonce song of the same name, uploaded 5 years ago. but I haven't listened to the one by beyonce yet. I did check and it appears to be the third sia song I have written about. in 2016 I wrote about the other two. there was 'elastic heart' in january, and 'cheap thrills' in july. I figured I would have written about 'alive' as well, but I had not. I did like many of the lyrics in it as well, especially 'all in spite of you', 'you never noticed that I was in pain' and 'I knew what I wanted, went out and got it'. either that or it was under another title. since I did write about the pearl jam song of the same name.
   but back to the sia song. as you know, readers, I pay attention to the lyrics a lot, but the instruments also made this a song I couldn't ignore. it is fast, and lively. and yes, good lyrics too. what stood out at first was 'your body's poetry' along with 'oh oh oh'. the 'in-between' part in the chorus is also catchy. 'speak to me, won't you let me be your rhythm tonight, move your body. I want to be your muse you refuse.' and the setup is there early in the song, 'poetry in your body you got it in everyway. want to free you with my rhythm.' the video seems to depict the lyrics well, especially later ones like 'free the beast from its cage free the rage like an animal'. since the video takes place at a photography studio in 1987, although it is not accurate. in the background it says 'mall of america' and a 612 area code, but this mall wasn't open yet, not until 1992. same is true with cell phones, most people didn't have them then. but I understood what it was depicting. it is a young sia that runs away from her parents during the photography session and puts on the two-tone wig that also hides her face. and she dances with some of the other customers. I've said it before how 'we can't ignore who we are' so this is why it works for me.  and in this case, I couldn't ignore how well some sia songs really work for me. I said this about green day, and Eminem, as well. it was why I bought two of her CDs in November, and still feel the need to play them every so often since then. 'move your body' is on one of them, 'this is acting'.
   I find that writing about music is easier than some other subjects, so it was conscious and very intentional that I decided to write about it tonight as opposed to other subjects. at least in terms of what became the primary subject, and the title. I did go to a fish fry, at a church in Maplewood, but the line was a slow-moving one. this is decidedly different from others I have been to. and the excuses given- how the fish was made- were invalid. I also had a date at a coffee shop after the fish fry, but this is internet dating we are talking about so I can't expect much. especially when my date's body language seemed to say 'stand-offish' since I saw crossed arms a lot. I am used to seeing plenty of 'one and done' dates so it wouldn't surprise me too much if this one fizzled out quick like many others do. even though I liked the intellectual stimulation, from discussing the subject of history, something I don't do as often as I would like. it can be hard to find the opportunities to do so, at least with others. this is why I am often going to museums by myself, not knowing who else in my circle of friends wants to go. put another way, I can sum up my mindset about this date by saying 'it helps to have expectations in line with reality'. it would be nice if there is a second date, but I saw enough clues to tell me not to expect it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment