Sunday, April 2, 2017

comedy marathon, phoenix theater

I performed at the comedy marathon this afternoon, its fourth year and my second straight year. I got some reese's peanut butter at a Walgreen across the street from the phoenix theater, in uptown Minneapolis, then found out there was plenty of food available for performers once I arrived. even though it was a longer set than what I normally have, there was no problem filling in nearly 30 minutes. I made a few references to the one from last year, as I had watched the video. I decided to wear the same emerson hough hoodie as before. I got to most of the jokes on my list, which felt good. and I know I got plenty of laughs. I liked how the stage lights were on high enough that I wasn't distracted by what the crowd looked like. first time performing there, only other time I think I had been there were for the fringe festival last august. the Charles schulz impersonator was doing his show there. I did make a reference to Charlie brown and snoopy near the end. I liked seeing pizza in the performers room. I had some of it and also the trail mix, as well as little muffins. I did see a new comic there, we spoke for a little while. I stayed for his set and then I left. I knew that once I left I wasn't coming back. for one thing, this was a new venue this year. before, it was held at suburban hotels, and hotels have way more parking. I was not only thankful for the stage time, but also a gift bag. there was a sticker on it that said 'I survived' and there was a thank-you card in it, among others things. I saw some candy in the bag, as well as advil, Pepto-Bismol, and yogi honey lemon throat comfort. at some point I will have to try some of it.
   I moved up my typical chores and errand running so I would be at the venue 30 minutes before my performance time. this included going to the post office box, and turning in change at the bank. I saw a man struggling with his PO box, as it was full, he said he hadn't checked it in a month. the total on the change turned in was over 17 dollars. a man was ahead of me, waiting for a full bag to be switched out. he had nearly a thousand dollars. no surprise how with mine that the value of the pennies is still more than the nickels, as I am picking up pennies all the time. I printed some things at the library about the comedy marathon, then it was on to uptown. after I was done performing I went to the antique shop, much like a week earlier. I got one of the Charlie brown posters that I had seen but not bought. it has snoopy and linus on it, and says 'somehow I have the feeling I bore people'. with Charlie brown and snoopy I prefer collectibles with the most characters on them, and this one fit the bill as the other two had fewer characters on them. I did see a friend's once a month show in the evening, but I didn't know that many of the performers at this one. I also was tired by then, as I had woke up this morning earlier than I wanted to, so this made it harder to enjoy the show. but I made it home fine driving my car despite being tired.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment