Friday, April 21, 2017

SS eastland, chicago

I was getting an oil change for my car tonight and was reading sports illustrated while waiting. there was a 'what if?' article where some of the scenarios interested me. one of those was an event I hadn't heard of, a boat called the SS eastland that capsized in Chicago in 1915. George halas, who later founded the NFL's Chicago bears, bought a ticket for that boat but was late and it had capsized by the time he had arrived. I liked that studying history has given me a love of learning, so I am still willing to read whatever I can find. not sure why it has been largely forgotten by the history books, as the death toll was high, over 800. it was just three years after the sinking of the titanic. two others if interest to me were about the babe ruth trade. it could have easily been to the white sox and not the Yankees. and how mr. trump wanted to buy the NFL's buffalo bills, but was outbid. I had heard about the third one, but not how it had ended- being outbid. it did make me think of some 'what ifs' in my life. the most notable was when I was looking at jobs in early 2009, wanting to 'quit dorking around with temp agencies' as I was advised by my then-roommate. there was two offers on the table, I accepted the one with the signature group and turned down the one from TCF bank. would I still have ended up in Minnesota had I accepted the one from TCF? possibly. as I recall, I didn't want to work in a super-market location on a sunday and being in sales. call center work was more appealing, but I found out it was hard work.
   I did watch some 'big bang theory' episodes tonight. syndicated rerun was when howard found out his space station mission conflicted with his wedding to Bernadette. prime time episode was when Sheldon kept hurting himself as he was jealous of a colleague that got an award. it ended with them being in the studio audience on the 'ellen' show. after this I had the oil change done, scheduled in advance and wanting to free up the weekend for other activities. when I got back I did the customary walk around the neighborhood. it did mean a nice yield on coins, 37 cents in all, as usual most were found at the car wash. it was 2 dimes a nickel and 12 pennies. I also found a foreign coin, and had to check it online to find out where it was from. it was a 1-birr coin, and the search said it was from Ethiopia. not much else I recognized on the coin in terms of the wording. one side had the justice scales, the other has a lion  head. I have to remind myself how this is an international city so finding some foreign coins is not too big of a deal. I also know well enough to pick them up when I see them as I don't know when else the opportunity will present itself. as the saying goes, 'get while the getting is good'.
   in other issues, I saw two women arguing at the office this week and thankful that my boss intervened. it was two sisters. I had said that when this happens, I just leave as I have seen too much drama in my life. I also cut two people from my facebook friends list, both accounts were inactive. and I essentially replaced both in the same week. the two cut I hadn't heard from in a while, and the two I added are from the comedy circuit. I stress relevance and quality in my friends list, and I do review the list from time to time and make changes when needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment