Friday, July 28, 2017

carol vnuk

I went to the family visitation for carol vnuk tonight in Roseville, at a funeral home that is across the street from the library. the obit said she passed on Saturday, and lived to be age 83. and how being a performer was the 'second act' in her life, after retiring from being a real estate agent. I looked at her IMDB page, I did not recognize many of the movies that she had roles in. I had heard of her playing Ma Barker though, in a movie called 'spirits of st. paul: the gangster era' from 2012. some of the posters of the movies she had been in were on display there, along with plenty of photos. I recognized the names and photos of some fellow performers, one of them was university accountant. another one goes by his initials. I had met carol a few times, I knew we knew some of the same people. this is what I said when I spoke with some family members. there was a video playing as well, and one of the songs in it was the Hawaiian version of 'over the rainbow'. I knew this as the song played when dr. greene died on the tv show 'ER'.
   after I was done there I printed some things at the library, and then it was on to do some karaoke. I did two songs: 'the reason' by hoobastank, and 'reach for the sky' by social distortion. I liked seeing the harmonica guy there, much like two days ago. as I recall, he did 'old time rock and roll' by bob seger, and something by vince gill I think. about how his life has become a country song. the second song was done as social distortion had a concert in downtown st. paul this week, I did not go to it but I have some memories of seeing two of their concerts, both in Minneapolis. one was downtown, the other was at the cabooze.
  I saw the attorney when I was riding the bus home in the evening. she spoke of traveling to Bemidji with her family next month. I said I didn't have much in terms of travel plans for the rest of the summer, wanting to keep costs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment