Saturday, July 8, 2017

the big sick movie

this afternoon I went to see a movie, 'the big sick', at the Grandview theater in st. paul. I am thankful I saw it and knew I likely would, since I am a comic. if I were to describe it in one word, it would be 'inspiring'. more so than other stand-up comedy movies I have seen in recent years. I feel like it was an accurate depiction of doing stand-up. and I liked the Emily character more than her beau. it serves as a reminder of how anyone who dates me must understand that I am a performer, I need to be performing to be happy. it will likely influence my comedy sets, since the movie covers the subject of family a lot. I already sometimes speak of them, so it wouldn't be a new thing. but the way I do it may still change nonetheless.
   I picked up an amazon order this morning, a CD, 'pure heroine' by lorde. and I went to do some karaoke tonight, 'coming home' by diddy dirty money, and 'i'm yours' by Jason mraz. there was an encouragement squad there, at the table next to me. the Jason mraz song carries some meaning to me as I heard it a lot back in 2008, the year I started doing stand-up. memorable as I know I heard it after the first night of performing.


No comments:

Post a Comment